WolfyWho

Should I get a hydrophone/microphone on a housing?

Hi,

Is it worth getting a hydrophone on an underwater video housing? Will the internal microphone on the camera pick up any sound on the outside of the unit, without a hydrophone? I've seen some footage online, and when I do hear the actual underwater sounds it's usually the bubbles from people breathing, and noises from knocking the housing around itself. Is a hydrophone worth the extra money?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

I've mostly ignored the audio when I import to my timeline anyway. Unless youve got some really interesting sound that you'd like to record on a regular basis. My cameras mike inside the (gates) housing has picked up most of the unusual sounds anyway....whalesong, clownfish attacking the lens, buddy whooping with joy thru his regs etc etc. You can add most other sound effects whilst editing, so I wouldnt see the point in the hydrophone.

Neil

My cameras mike inside the (gates) housing has picked up most of the unusual sounds anyway....whalesong, clownfish attacking the lens, buddy whooping with joy thru his regs etc etc.

Thanks Neil. If it's possible to pick up that kind of stuff with the camera's mic itself, then I think that will be good enough for me.

Scott

Sponsors

Advertisements