Rocha

Nikon D200 imminent

Good info, Claude, thanks for that.

So most housing manufacturers are talking February. Interesting. It will probably end up being March, but nicely in time for the diving season.

Alex

I asked a friend at Niks Thailand to measure the size of the viewfinder since Nikon did not list it in its spec. The viewfinder is approximately 1cm x1.5 cm in size.

The image is a bit smaller but it looked big. Anyhow, I think I am going back there tomorrow to pick up some stuffs, I will bring my D2X along and compare it side by side.

Ok, that solves the question then. I've just measured my D2x viewfinder, and it is about 1.9cm wide. So, the D2x viewfinder is larger, you can see it from further back (eyepoint of 19.9mm as opposed to 19.5 in the D200), but the projected image on the D200's viewfinder is slightly larger and more magnified.

I did the same on my F100 : 1.4cmx1.8cm - seems like it's nearly the same as D2x !

Rocha, what do you mean with "the projected image" ?

Claude

I think that when you look through the viewfinder, the image that you see inside is apparently larger. In the D2x, there are dark borders around the image in the viewfinder. Maybe those borders are narrower in the D200.

Ok, here is an image that James posted earlier, with views of the D200 viewfinder:

00191-06-nikon-d200.jpg

And here is how the D2x viewfinder looks like:

463_nikon_d2x_viewfinder_1.jpg

By projected image, I mean the frame inside the black borders. See how there is relatively more dark area inside the D2x viewfinder? Does this make sense?

What remains to be seen is how this is going to affect the viewfinder inside a housing. I for one have nothing to complain about the D2x viewfinder. I find it as good as my housed F100.

hmm, I did not realize D2X VF is significantly bigger 1.9x1.4 is almost twice as big as 1.5x1.0. I don't have D70 anymore but if this is the case I imagine that it can't be that much bigger than D70 VF. Hmmm..I thought it was fairy big. Anyhow, I will take another look at it tomorrow.

I did some comparisons between D200, D2X and D70s viewfinder today.

Basically, physical size of D200 is a bit bigger than D70 and not nearly as big as the D2X. However, may be due to the magnification factor, when looked through the viewfinder, I felt that D200 viewfinder is much closer to what I see through D2X rather than D70s. D200 VF is also much brighter than D70.

Here are comparison pictures of the VF of the cameras:

D2X and D200

d2x_d200.sized.jpg

D200 and D70s

d200_d7.sized.jpg

What worries me a bit is that from the outside the D200 viewfinder looks a similar size to the D70. But when you get your eye right up to it you see this big bright view. The problem is that when the camera is in a housing and your eye is behind a mask you can't get your eye right up to the viewfinder.

This is just speculation, mind.

Alex

Thanks Boi - that is interesting. Any more comments regarding Alex's idea?

one point that has not been adressed is what RAW format does it use. hopefully one that will be usable with 3rd party software.

Thanks Boi - that is interesting. Any more comments regarding Alex's idea?

That's possible. I did not think of it and did not try to look at the VF from a few inches away. Not sure when I will go back to Niks again as there is a 70-200VR there that kept calling my name every time I walk in and my credit card is in a very sad state at the moment :lol:

However, I still think that in comparison to D70s, it should still be quite a big improvement but behind a housing, may be the view won't be quite as close to D2X as it is on land.

I suppose Subal/Seacam/Sealux viewfinder would still be a nice accessory for it.

one point that has not been adressed is what RAW format does it use. hopefully one that will be usable with 3rd party software.

I thought Adoebe and Nikon decided to play nice after all and the encrypted NEF file issue is pretty much resolved so hopefully 3rd party software should not be a problem.

Sponsors

Advertisements