Sign in to follow this  
Rocha

Nikon Capture 4.3.1

For those who use Nikon Capture, version 4.3.1 is now available for download at Nikon's website:

Download Nikon Capture 4.3.1

This new version addresses several issues and apparently makes the program run faster.

It would be hard to make it run slower! :)

You are right, it is too slow. I am lucky that the JPGs from the D2x are so good and I don't need to work on the raw files very often. But this new version seems to be a lot faster; my computer always froze when I oppened 4-5 D2x raw files at the same time, and now I have 10 open running faster than 3 open on 4.3.0! But, from other comments I still think PS CS2 is faster than this new version.

I bought Nikon 3.5 a couple of years ago and am now keen to move to 4.x.x.

As far as I can see there is no option other then to shell out yet another £100 (in the UK) for the program upgrade. Does anyone know of any other cheaper upgrade version?

Presumably the product code for my 3.5 will not work on 4.x. Wishful thinking eh?

Is it worth the upgrade cost?

It would be hard to make it run slower! :D

As someone that make is living from writing code, I can assure you, there is always a way to make programs run even worst then now. :D

But let put the jokes aside, its sometimes (too often) seems that the new software applications are running slowest then old versions. :)

It would be hard to make it run slower! :D

Thanks Luiz!

Alex

Not many people know this but Nikon Capture is a scam. AMD and Intel paid Nikon to write a very slowwwwww bloateddd program so Nikon users will have to keep upgraded their CPUs to make the program more usable :)

Not many people know this but Nikon Capture is a scam. AMD and Intel paid Nikon to write a very slowwwwww bloateddd program so Nikon users will have to keep upgraded their CPUs to make the program more usable  :)

Actually, the same thing happens with Windows, Photoshop, etc. Try running Windows XP in a Pentium 266mhz! Now, if you are able to install Windows 98 in your current computer it will fly! I am sure those companies are all entangled in a conspiracy to make us update software and buy new computers every year or so. :D

I played around with 4.3.1 a bit tonight. While it didn't feel a lot faster doing common operations, it used a LOT less memory than usual. Usually I load two D70 RAW files and I'm over 1GB. I had four loaded and was still under 750MB.

This is going to keep it from getting really slow once the machine runs low on free memory and starts hitting the page file a lot.

TimG, I have found RawShooter to be a really great RAW processing tool.  And what's more it is free!

http://www.pixmantec.com/index2.html

Looks like a great tool, I just downloaded it and played a little with it.

Work fast, really nice UI and can work on batches in the background.

I want to check how its process NEF files Vs the others RAW converters, but that will have to wait...

Thanks guys. I'll check it out. Much though I would like to use Capture, I resent having to pay for it twice. Call me cheap....

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements