wchen

Anybody using a MacroMate?

Hi Will,

Here are two photos taken using the Sigma 150mm Lens, Canon 500D diopter, and the Macromate:

050816_bali_KN0X5383.jpg

That's full frame uncropped.

This second one is a vertical cropped from a horizontal:

050816_bali_KN0X5345.jpg

Working distance for these shots was about 2 inches from the port tip for these. The Macromate design is very smart though, in that the end of the Macromate is bevelled so that you can still get your strobes right in there to light the shot.

I love the Macromate and was really glad that I got to use it on this trip. A special thanks to Stephen Frink and Berkeley White, who loaned me the lens.

Sincerely,

James Wiseman

What does the macromate get you that Woody's diopter doesn't?

Joe

What does the macromate get you that Woody's diopter doesn't?

A lighter wallet :)

~Matt Segal

Has anyone shot the Macromate and Woody's diopter with the D2X? I have noted what others have mentioned that the D2X really shows up poor optics. With it's high resolution and small pixels. I other works is their any justification for the much higher cost?

I have both. The macromate is a much stronger diopter. When using the macromate, forget about even focusing, just move the housing in and out.

With the 150mm +500D and macromate, my working distance was 2" from the port. But I was getting 5:1

Cheers

James

James, how does that compair to Woody's? What working distance and magnification do you get with 150mm+500D+Woody's?

Hi William,

I haven't done a side by side test w/ a ruler to compare, sorry. All I can say is "less."

Since the macromate is an achromat diopter it's much stronger and probably sharper (can't this authoritatively w/o a test).

Cheers

James

When using the macromate, forget about even focusing, just move the housing in and out.

And remember James has a 1D Mk2. Arguably this camera has the best AF of any camera ever made. So its an important point.

Alex

I gave up shooting the 150mm +500d on autofocus after about the first day. After that I started using the * button method and MF and was very very happy.

Cheers

James

I gave up shooting the 150mm +500d on autofocus after about the first day.  After that I started using the * button method and MF and was very very  happy.

Cheers James

The * Button technique is a great tool on Canon SLR's.

FYI for you Nikon D2X(H) shooters, the AE/AF Lock Button can be re-programmed from the Menu to allow the same function as the Canon * Button. In other words focus can be removed from the Shutter (Release) Button and set to the AE/AF Lock Button. On Subal Housing the Thumb Lever on the rear shell then becomes your focus control.

Now if Nikon would just redesign their macro lenses for AF-S so that you can actually USE that feature, eh Dave? :-) It's kind of Ironic that you have to buy a Sigma lens to get that functionality...

Cheers

James

Have you guys seen the flip-up macromate?

p1010385_resize.jpg

This is nice! I like the macromate, but the one I used was hard to get on and off, and then hard to store on a dive. This solves the problems very well!

Photo by Christa - at the backscatter booth at DEMA.

Cheers

James

James,

Have you tried a Woody's diopter? Any idea how the two compare?

Hi Herb,

Sarah has a Woody's for her Ikelite housed 20D. It's a nice diopter (glass) but it's not as strong as the Macromate.

The Macromate is good for lenses with a long working distance. With the Sigma 150mm, Canon 500D diopter, and Macromate, I was getting about 3" from the port tip of working distance, but the actual image was almost magnified 2x compared to not using the macromate.

Cheers

James

WHat ports does the macromate work on? ie Does it work with the Aquatica ports. Or maybe I should be asking what the cost is first... :)

I believe the Woody slip on increases magnification by 20%.....+/- $75.

I think the Macromates are in the $500 - $550 range and increase magnification by 100%

FWIW, I use the Woody's on my 60mm and 105mm..with and without diopters with great results

Karl

BTW. I've built fittings to mount the Woody on the Aquatica port. Very simple. About $35 worth of plastic parts made by the local Tap Plastics. I'll post a DIY later when I get home.

BTW. I've built fittings to mount the Woody on the Aquatica port. Very simple. About $35 worth of plastic parts made by the local Tap Plastics. I'll post a DIY later when I get home.

Christmas is coming up if you were wondering what I was needing Herb. Unless you already got me the 5D :)

Christmas is coming up if you were wondering what I was needing Herb. Unless you already got me the 5D :)

I thought you'd like a large pre-formed diamond.

James,

Did the flip up version flip all the way back so that it would +/- touch the lens barrel? Swimming with it at 180 degrees with respect to the port plane would literally be a drag. :)

Tom

James,

Another question just occurred after going back to look at your post with the pic – what is its buoyancy? Looks like it could be fairly negative (to be added to an already negative rig, re. your negative buoyancy counter-measures). <_<

Tom

Sponsors

Advertisements