wchen

Anybody using a MacroMate?

post-2800-1130054700_thumb.jpgI broke down and ordered a MacroMate for my 100mm Ikelite macro port. I sent my port into Backscatter and about 3-4 weeks later they sent me a fabricated unit that allows me to still use the manual focus while the MM is attached. I finally got to shoot it today.

This is not a beginners lens. I have an Ikelite housing for the 20D and the viewfinder sucks. This makes using the MM even tougher. Focusing is done by moving the camera in and out until you find the sweetspot. I didn't use the Focus Lock, but I think that would be the most practical way of using the lens. I'll be trying the Focus Lock next time. Did I mention that this is not a beginners lens. I now have some appreciation on how hard it must have been for James to shoot his pymgy horse. Also as James mentioned, this lens does not "steal light".

My first impressions is that I really like it. I probably won't use it unless I'm in a dive situation where I can spend 20 minutes shooting a subject.

Following this post are some samples. All uncropped. Resized down to 640x427. Note this was my first time using so the results are not that good.

-- will

Canon 100mm + MacroMate - uncropped shrimp (Anacapa Island - CA)

post-2800-1130054918_thumb.jpg

Canon 100mm with no MM - 1.5 inch Spanish Shawl for comparison

post-2800-1130055315_thumb.jpg

Sponsors

Advertisements