alcina

help 20D lens set

I have just added a Canon 20D & Subal housing to my camera gear. Haven't laid hands on it yet - another three weeks :) I need to buy lenses now...I have a couple of older Canon/Sigma lenses, but nothing for underwater which is my primary purpose for this new camera, however, I really do want to start taking land shots, too. I really only have from now until Oct to decide and buy as I live overseas in a remote area and can't shop from there! I won't be in shopping range for about 12 more months, so unfortunately I have to bite the bullet and spend, spend, spend all in one hit.

For underwater I think I am going to use:

100 macro - Canon...I have the old model but think I am going to move to the new one instead. Is there a comparable 105 macro available for the Canon or is that just for Nikon?

60 macro

Are there other macro lenses I should be considering? Macro and closeups are my favourite by far.

I also need a WA and was going to go with Canon's 10-22, but have seen a couple of very favourable reviews on the Tokina 12-24. I've also seen a couple of mentions of the Sigma 10-22 but can't really seem to find much real life info. I know I am losing quite a bit on the widest side, but I'm not over the moon about wide angle anyway. Lately I have been forcing myself to use my WAL on my current 5050 -and I like it, but WA is not my favourite thing to do underwater so dropping $800ish on a lens + xx on a Subal port is a bit scary! I need one, but perhaps spending less here is better?

I also want to begin taking shots on land. I need a walking around lens and was thinking maybe the 17-85. It needs to be relatively light, a zoom and capable of a variety of situations from family shots indoors to holiday shots outdoors. Ideally this same lens would be able to go in the housing for those "recon" dives on a new site - where I'd want to be able to shoot most anything. But this might be a dream - I am keeping my other system so perhaps I would be better just using that?

Sorry this is so long...I am searching web sites and reviews to try to narrow the field, but it's incredibly daunting - especially as I can't lay hands on anything to try. I appreciate the help!

Hi Alcina,

First, welcome to wetpixel. Good to see you around here. I have just upgraded my system too, so I know what you are talking about when you say spend! But I agree that spending all at once is less painful (that's if you have enough :) ).

About the lenses, I don't know the old Canon 100 (the one you have), but I know that the new one is equivalent to Nikon's 105, both do 1:1, and the Canon is fast to focus, even faster than the Nikon because it has internal focussing (USM). For the shorter lens I would recommend one that does 1:1, and this means either the Sigma 50 or Canon's 60 EFS macro. Canon's 50 macro does not do 1:1.

As far as wide angles go, Sigma's 10-22 is pretty new, and that's why you're not seing many reports. I know several people use Canon's 10-22 and you will get their impressions, from what I heard it is a very nice lens. For your land/UW all purpose zoom, you may want to look at Subal's port chart:

http://www.subal.com/en/portselection/lens...?markennummer=1

Apparently Subal does not provide ports for the 17-85, but you should ask your dealer about it.

I hope this helps,

Luiz

Hi Alcina

Welcome to Wetpixel, you've come to the right place for DSLR advice.

Sarah and I just got back from a long trip to Bali where we did underwater and a lot of topsides photography. Sarah used the 20D and I used my 1DmkII

I would suggest you start with the 100mm USM macro lens - it's amazing and is pretty versatile. For bigger critters and fish photography, I like the Sigma 50mm macro lens. I am sort of in the minority though, as I don't want to buy any EF-S lenses as I see them as a dead-end on the road to full frame nirvana...:-)

For wide, you can start cheap w/ the Sigma 15mm fisheye, but it's only really good for underwater shooting. Topside, I'd go with a wide zoom like one of the 12-24's (I like Tokina lenses) and for a walk-around lens, the 17-40 if you don't want to go EFS or the 17-85 if you do.

You can easily port the 17-85 with a big dome and an extension ring. I've used it w/ the Ike housing and it's a nice lens. Heck, it's just a nice lens all around, just too bad it's EF-S

Cheers

James

Thanks for the ideas so far.

I am definitely getting the two macro lenses.

I am still a bit stuck on WA and would appreciate more input if anyone has anything to offer.

I am still trying to figure out if the 17-85 is worth getting or if I should look at something with a longer range for a walking around on land lens.

Luiz...thanks for the link! I couldn't get in to see their list of ports for any brand - do you have that link, I couldn't find it though I did find mention of it there was no hot link!

Hi Alcina,

For wideangle, I've used the 10-22 underwater and it's a fabulous lens. Again, it's an EF-S so if you ever decide to get a full frame camera (like the 5D) then it will have to go.

With the 10-22, you can shoot everything from clowfish in their anemone up to manta rays and whale sharks.

Cheers

James

For wideangle, I've used the 10-22 underwater and it's a fabulous lens.  Again, it's an EF-S so if you ever decide to get a full frame camera (like the 5D) then it will have to go.

I don't know James. When I upgrade in a few years to whatever Canon has out then (FF), I see myself keeping the 20D w/ lenses as either a backup camera underwater, or for topside work. Small and light are two great advantages.

~Matt Segal

Ya - I have a 1DmkII so my options are limited. I've decided not to buy EF-S lenses, but my reason's are pretty specific and don't apply to everyone.

Cheers

James

Hi Alcina,

For wideangle, I've used the 10-22 underwater and it's a fabulous lens.  Again, it's an EF-S so if you ever decide to get a full frame camera (like the 5D) then it will have to go.

Cheers

James

Bad James!! :)

I haven't even laid hands on this one nor bought the lenses yet and here you are talking about upgrading!! lol ;):)

I would second the recommendation on the new Canon 60 mm macro, just got back from Fiji and it was awesome with the Inon ringflash.

I have the two Canon macro lenses and the 10-22. So far the 60 EF-S macro is my favorite underwater. You can go from 1:1 to fish portraits without a problem. The 100 macro is a nice lense and gives more working room at 1:1, but is harder to work with for anything else. I'm not a big WA shooter, but the 10-22 is great wet or dry.

Hi, Im using a D60 so the lens selection is similat beside i can't use EF-S Lenses.

About the 100mm Macro USM => this is a gret Lens but i only use it when i'm relly sure that Macro and only Macro is what i want to shoot on this dive. I would recommend to get a port that allows manual focus. since you can manual focus in AF Mode a combination of *-Button for AF and Focus Gera is really good. AF only can be difficult under less than optimal light conditions (But i think the AF of the 20D is much better than the AF of the D60 so you'll have less problems)

My second lens i use is the 50mm Macro. It is a great lens even if it is only 1:2. It is good enough for most Macro it is great for "Fish Portrait" etc. and you can also mace decent shos of bigger stuff when it swims by. With a 20D and if you don't have plans to go in the 5D,1Ds Full Frame direction in the next time i would probably try the 60mm Macro EF-S Lens instead.

My third Lens I use for UW is my "Magic Weapon" it is th Canon 16-35mm L lens. I know it is awful expensive but it is worth every cent of its price.

I Use it behind a superdome with a +4 Diopter. I can focus with it very close (almost touching the subject with the dome) and can make decent shots of bigger Macro stuff (nudis etc) and everything else up to wide Angle. When I don't knw what to expect from a divesite this is the setup i use.

I don't use any wider or Fish Eye lenses at the moment but will try this probably next year.

Simon

Sponsors

Advertisements