davephdv

D2X photos

http://homepage.mac.com/daveburroughs/PhotoAlbum31.html

Above is a link to a small gallery of my first D2X images. I didn't do to well. Entirely due to a number of user errors.

The camera did several things I have never been able to do with a digital camera before. First it could get accurate colors of California Hydracoral and second accurate colors of a Garibaldi fish.

Second it could accurately track and focus on very fast moving Sea Lions in poor water conditions.

The hydrocoral was shot at Farnsworth bank on the back side of Catalina Island. It was the most amazing water conditions I've ever seen off of California. The only place I could equate it with was Roca Partida of the Soccorro Islands.

They're excellent, Dave. What do you expect from your first dive. I like the Sealions alot. Alex

I like the Santa Barbara Island arch photo with the two divers... It looks like you could spend a lifetime exploring all the nooks and crannies around there!

Sea lion shots are great! Those guys are hard to shoot when they are dive bombing you.

I agree with Alex..first time out with camera you came back with some keepers.

M.

I agree Dave - geez - not too bad for your first time out w/ the camera. I especially like the 10.5DX shot w/ the kelp and soft coral and also the giant seabass (but I'm partial to that fish).

Cheers

James

Hi Dave,

Cool shots. What was the viz on farnsworth? I have seen it with 5 feet and more than 100 feet. Those clear days are breathtaking with all of the purple coral strewn all over the place. That is my absolute favorite dive in California. It is also a dangerous dive. A lot of people have died there due to depth and the advance nature of the dive, so when one comes up with keepers like you shoit, iot's a good thing!! :)

Joe

I've been to Farnsworth twice. First time we had 3 ft vis.; lost an anchor and the boarding step at the back of the boat. Second time was with these pictures. Maybe 100 ft. vis. Glass like sea. Some of the best conditions I've ever had diving.

Thanks for all the good comments. You didn't see all the shots I blew making mistakes I know not to make. The 10.5 has a learning curve if you haven't shot a fisheye before.

Great shots Dave. We had some of the better water conditions of the year on our trip. Looks like I need to start working with my 12-24mm.

Jim

Yes Jim;

I thought you had some really good Macro but this was the best wide angle conditions I've ever seen in California.

Great shots. Were they all with the 10.5?

Hal

The 10.5 has a learning curve if you haven't shot a fisheye before.

The problem with the 10.5mm is that once you have learned to use it, you will no longer be able to use any other wide angle lens!

Alex

The problem with the 10.5mm is that once you have learned to use it, you will no longer be able to use any other wide angle lens!

That is so true... I started to get comfortable with the 10.5, and then tried the 12-24 again for a dive and couldn't light it...

oh well!

Actually almost all the shots were with the 12-24. I was hoping to get a lot of Black Sea Bass Sea Lions. They are a lot easier to shoot with the 12-24.

Sponsors

Advertisements