echeng

Jelly-like scary critter

This was in a sandy area, in a hole in the ground. I poked it with a stick and it started contracting wildly, detaching itself from the hole and floating off. Briefly, it unrolled and displayed jellyfish-like elements. But mostly, it was rolled up and looked scary.

050813-162910-echeng8506.jpg

050813-163150-echeng8507.jpg

Interesting... I've never seen anything quite like it. I am curious to see what Leslie and the other invert experts have to say about it.

Luiz

Hi Eric,

It appears to be a hydromedusa. I have a great book called Pacific Coast Pelagic Invertebrates, and there are afew that look related perhaps, but nothing that's an exact match.

Marli

I'm with Marli. I'll send it to some jelly experts & see if we can't get a name for you.

By the way - where's it from?

Papua New Guinea :unsure:

Here it is - from www.imagequest3d.com. I'd seen pictures of Olindias (particularly the gorgeous species known as the flower-hat jelly) but didn't know about its nifty life style......

Cigar Jelly Olindias

"during the day This delicate hydromedusan is commonly known as a 'cigar jelly' for the simple reason that by day they invariably roll themselves into a cigar shape, contract all their tentacles and allow themselves to be even rolled around in the surf By night they extend a mass of fine stinging tentacles that catch zooplankton such as copepods "

http://www.imagequest3d.com/catalogue/jell...es/i054_jpg.htm

http://www.imagequest3d.com/catalogue/jell...s/i008_jpg.htm#

I poked it with a stick

Eric's preferred method of waking sleeping people :P

started contracting wildly, detaching itself

People's typical response to the aforementioned poking.

:unsure:

hehehe. normally, I am careful about not making physical contact with animals, underwater. in this case, I was so freaked out by the thing that i had to see what it was. :unsure:

Wait a minute - aren't you one of the guys that likes to play with sharks? Big toothy mammal-eating sharks? And you're scared by a cute little jelly? ;)

Cute? Sharks are big cuddly teddy bears...

That thing is just plain ick! Has what looks like some sort of sci fi brain mass floating inside.

Kinda gives you the heebie jeebies

Cute?  Sharks are big cuddly teddy bears...

That thing is just plain ick!  Has what looks like some sort of sci fi brain mass floating inside.

Kinda gives you the heebie jeebies

;):) man-eating sharks are teddy bears?? beautiful jellies are ick?? And I thought I was weird for thinking wart hogs are adorable!

Sponsors

Advertisements