Sign in to follow this  
scubamarli

Bonaire dive resorts

I'm considering options for a trip to take place next July. I've been to Bonaire pre-damage, and I was wondering about the condition of the house reefs. I'm not into driving around and shore diving. I'd be quite content to do two or three boat dives a day and fill in the rest of the time with house reef dives, if they're still worthwhile. Anyone checked them out lately? I've stayed at Sand Dollar and Captain Don's, and both operations were good, but other suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,

Marli

Well, I was at Capt Don's resort in June 05 and the house reef was in good condition. Lots of moray eels, parrot fish, school masters, and peacock flounder.

The dock at Capt Don's is excellent shape making the entrance and exits a breeze.

The last time I stayed at the Sand Dollar the dock was gone and staircase done to their beach was not very diver friendly. From what little I could see from the boat when we past it in June I do not think they improved it.

;)

I made a trip back to Bonaire in April and stayed at Buddy Dive. There are fewer stairs up and down to the water and dock at Buddy Dive as compared to Capt. Don's. In addition, Buddy Dive seems to be in better working order than Capt. Don's. The issue with stairs and lugging cameras up and down makes the decision simple for me. Others may disagree; however, I would choose Buddy Dive over the others.

Mike

We were in Bonaire in May. I liked Buddys reef but I think I would get bored with diving it every day. Given you don't want to drive and dive why not go to the Caymens, Roatan, or the Turks? It's seems they would be more to your liking.

For something lower key with lots of personal service, try the Carib Inn. Their reef is always interesting and they are a short walk to town, which is great if you are going car-less. This is the only place I stay and I am making my 11th Bonaire trip in December.

Thanks for the suggestions; it looks like Roatan may be the answer, unless I win the lottery, and then it's back to Lembeh.

Cheers,

Marli

Check out Coco View in Roatan or if you want something a little different the Utila Lodge. Both are great.

Hard to beat the pricepoint at Fantasy Island on Roatan - and it shares the channel with Coco View.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements