Alex_Mustard

Back from Bali

Argh, I told you so! You really need a 500D to use with that 150mm lens Alex and then you'll love it. I even offered to let you use mine, but noooo, you didn't listen :-) So please don't give up on it. With the 500D mounted, the working distance and close focus are much like the 105, only with higher magnification.

Cheers

James

Ok, then I meant to say 105mm with the 2xTC :P

I'll have a chance to shoot the 150mm next week in Port Hardy. Maybe then I'll be in a position to give advice to other people. Sorry....

Rand

James,

If Ryan supplied it, I'll use it. LOL!

Actually, I've developed this love affair with the 2xTC so, I'm probably going to spend the majority of the time with it. And use the advice from here on shooting much wider apertures. Lots of tiny stuff there.

Rand

James,

Actually, I've developed this love affair with the 2xTC so, I'm probably going to spend the majority of the time with it. And use the advice from here on shooting much wider apertures. Lots of tiny stuff there.

Rand

Wider apertures and flatter subjects. :P

Alex

I'm a recent member and just wanted to say, great stuff!

Who is the little guy who looks like a half of a pufferfish(BA1319)?

BTW is that gallery set up from a template? It's great, nice and simple.

thanks,

Ben

Who is the little guy who looks like a half of a pufferfish(BA1319)?

A very young mimic filefish!

I do understand why the dioptre is important for thw 150mm - but it doesn't fit in my Subal port with it. Regarding the 150mm I didn't find it suitable for many subjects in Bali. For anything bigger that 1:2 I would rather use the 60mm there - as subjects are so approachable. For 1:2 it is not a question of needing a dioptre - it is just for most of the bigger stuff I'd rather use a shorter lens and get closer to reduce backscatter.

But I do plan to get a dioptre and sort out a subal port for this lens.

Alex

....Damn videographers....

Gotta back Mike on this one... we video guys don't complain about your silly flashbulb popping u/w paparazzi....opps I'm a "video expert" now... I must behave... I must behave...

Alex, I would definitely like to hear about port combinations you used for the 150mm. I have the 10mm extension ring that I used ontop of the port combination that Subal recommended for the 70-180mm so I can use Nikon 5T or 6T diopter. I imagine that the 10mm extension ring would give enough clearance for the 500D diopter as well.

Boi

I think that James told me that the Canon 500D dioptre is about 13mm so that ext ring should be about right.

The problem with the subal ports and the 150mm macro lens is not just the length of the lens, but also the diameter. The lens itself is not that wide, but the focus limiting switches are just in the wrong place and make it impossible to fit some ports. You must check that you can accomodate this lens before buying it.

I nearly didn't buy the lens because at first I couldn't house it in a Subal.

Alex

I am still rather confused about all the available flat ports from Subal. I imagine that there are at least a few different options. My port combinaton is based on the 60mm lens port with manual dial on the side. The dimension of the port is quite big as the biggest Nexus wetmount diopter (110) is still too small for it. The 70-180 mm lens has plenty of space around it, probably a good 3-4mm between the lens and the side of the port. Next to Nexus port for the 70-180mm, my Subal port is huge.

I'll try and take a photo later to show you what I mean. I will have to borrow a camera as I only have one with me - and that will be in the photo!

Unfortunately we have a power cut scheduled today so it may take me a while to reply. Plus I will be out diving this afternoon and evening!

Alex

Diving! You ba***rd! I'm boarding up my house...

Cheers

James

Signed: Extremely jealous.

If it makes you feel any better I have not taken one decent picture since being here in Cayman - mainly because I haven't done a photo dive yet...

If it makes you feel any better I have not taken one decent picture since being here in Cayman - mainly because I haven't done a photo dive yet...

Maybe the doctor is loosing his 'Magic' touch !!! sorry couldn't resist .. maybe our normal turtle reef dive will inspire you some tomorrow.

got my fingers crossed for James ...

Rand: make sure to use the diopter...;-)

James,

Yes, the 500D is on the lens... I am bringing it up, and will be attempting to shoot it as well.

The big question is will Rand shoot the 150 with the 2X AND the 500D!! :)

Sponsors

Advertisements