kriptap

Which Lenses

I have a 105MM and 10.5MM for my D2X and am looking for a middle of the road lense, maybe a Sigma 28-70MM, would like a zoom that would let me get some smaller fish to maybe Turtles and Eagle Rays. I used to own a Canon and had a 17-85MM for it which I really liked. I have a Nikon dealer here so Nikon would be good but not tied to it, Oh also I was told that the Sigma 28-70MM would go behind my 105 port? Thx

Hi Patrick,

I had the Nikon 24-85 AFS f3.5 and I liked it a lot. It covers a wide zoom range and it's small and light.

Cheers

James

I have the 18-70mm Nikon zoom. Pretty good lens for the money and has a very usable zoom range. It does vignette some. I'm sure the 17-55mm is better, but it's a lot more expensive. On a recent land trip I used the entire range of the lens to great advantage.

The 17 - 55 is a great lens and works very well UW. The only complaint is that it could be wider. on land it is usually on my camera.

If your interested I ran across a Nikon 18-70 at Ritz Camera in Pompano Beach Florida today. It belonged to one of the sale persons and it was never used . It still comes with the warranty cards but no box, asking $ 250.

Marc

Go with the 17-55mm lens. I just got it and it is an incredibly clean and crisp lens with my D2x. It is not wide enought to be a true W/A, but does ok. But it is great as a fish portrait lens.

Which housing are you using? Not all housing manufacturers suppor the 17-55mm lens. The 18-70mm is a more widely supported lens but the 17-55mm is a better quality lens overall (also significantly more expensive).

For walkaround lens, I am very excited about the rumor 18-200mm VR DX lens. Hope it is not too heavy :)

Yes I should have said I am using the Subal housing, the 17-55MM is a nice lense but 3 times the price of others, but thanks for the advice all.

The 17-55mm is an excellent lens. But expensive. Also it requires a port extention ring, dioptre and domeport - as it is too wide to use behind a flat port.

I use the Sigma 28-70mm f2.8-f2.8mm. It also has the advantage that the lens is fully extended at the 28mm end so it doesn't see the sides of the port.

It is a tight fit in a Subal port - but optically it is very good for the price. My only concern is that you might struggle to fit it into your 105mm port as you have the manual focus knob on the side.

Alex

Sponsors

Advertisements