Sign in to follow this  
Uranium

Focal Length of Camera

Hi Guys,

I believe underwater, the object will appear nearer so when using a camera underwater, won't you be effectively be having less field of view for that same distance to an object (as compared to land shots). :) So, won't the focal length of the lens change? For example, a 14mm lens on land, will it still be 14mm underwater? Also, lets say the macro mode on land requires at least a 2cm distance from the object, would this increase underwater? Thanks Alot!

Wesley ;)

A flat port will magnify, meaning that the object will appear closer. A proper set up dome port should give you the same view as the lens on land. Remember that the lens is in air and not water. The nikonos lenses do give you a different angle of coverage as they are in water and not air (i.e. the nikonos 20 mm gives a 84 field, same as a 24 mm lens in a housing with a dome port). :ph34r:

I'm just being curious. What about the full-frame 8mm fisheye? Let's just say it is in direct contact with the water, will it still have a field of view of 180 degrees? Thanks alot for the previous reply! ;)

The 12 mm S & S for the Nikonos and the 13 mm Nikonos RS lens are the only fisheyes that I know of that are in direct contact with the water. I've never used either lens. I would guess that in the same way a Nikonos 15 mm lens has the same field of view as a housed 20 mm lens that a fisheye should be similarly constricted. Note if you are thinking of housing a DSLR you also would have to include that 1.5 or 1.6 focal length cropping of your image size. :ph34r:

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements