In July 2020, Wetpixel will be hosting an intensive photographic workshop focusing on capturing stunning imagery of the underground world. The workshop will be held in the epicenter of beautiful decorated caves - Mexico’s Yucatan peninsula. These caves offer amazing visibility, fantastic cave decorations (speleothems) and relatively warm water with little current.
The cenotes are areas that allow access to the cave systems themselves and have gin-clear water, fantastic light and (in some cases) photogenic plant life.
Diving and taking pictures in caves needs to be undertaken carefully. The workshop will work to ensure that you capture amazing images within the limits of your training, experience, and qualification. Wetpixel is partnering with Under the Jungle, who has extensive knowledge of ensuring safe and productive photography in the caves, caverns, and cenotes.
They will ensure that the sites you are taken to are suitable for your experience and qualification level. As an add-on, Under the Jungle can also run cave training and/or additional guided diving before or after the workshop.
Dates for the workshop are 11 to 18 July 2020. The participants will be mentored by Under the Jungle’s Natalie L Gibb and Vincent Rouquette-Cathala, award-winning cave and underwater photographer Tom St George and Wetpixel’s Adam Hanlon. Specific areas that we plan to cover includes:
- Equipment and general photographic technique.
- Cave environment. Efficiency, knowing the cave, flexibility, and making what you have got work!
- Lighting-strobes (on and off camera)
- Lighting (continuous and ambient)
- Composition and modeling
We will hold image reviews each evening, to discuss what worked (and what didn’t!), to share ideas and to inspire each other. Of course, all activities are voluntary!
Accommodation for the workshop will be on a full board basis in a luxury villa in the small gated community of Puerto Aventuras.
There is a strict limit of 8 persons for this workshop. We have priced it as all-inclusively as possible. The fee is US$3895/person which includes:
- 7 nights shared accommodation in luxury villa (single rooms available for a supplement)
- Full board (packed lunch at cenotes)
- All workshop activities (daily presentations and image reviews)
- 6 days diving in caves, caverns, and cenotes as appropriate (guided at 2:1)
- Tanks with 32% EANx fills (subject to qualification)
- Cenote entrance and photography permit fees
- Transport to and from cenotes
- Cancun airport to Puerto Aventuras transfers
- Any required gear hire (backplate/wing style BCDs only)
- Tips and gratuities.
- Local taxes on above
How to Book
Wetpixel is handling the bookings for the workshop. A deposit of $1500 is required to secure your place. A further payment of $1500 will be invoiced in January 2020, with the balances (which will include any extras) payable on 15 May 2020.
Please contact Adam for more information or to book.