• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 MrFish

MrFish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 01:43 PM

This is from one of my first dives using the S2 in the ikelite housing. Fitted with a Substrobe 50. Nikon 60mm
Never done underwater stuff before this dive trip.

Taken in the Taurao Marine park Thailand

I am looking for critue please, especially subject choice, framing, lighting etc
Dave Hopson
Fuji S2 pro, Ikelite housing, 60mm Nikon macro lens, DS50, Nikon SB-102

#2 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 21 February 2003 - 03:22 PM

Nice Colours exposure and a great shot of the hoover-end of a sea cucumber. However, it may have added to the image if it were shot in a vertical attitude rather than horizontal, to get the whole of the main subject in the framework.

Attention Bob Jarman - Your next suit and gloves should be made from Sea Cucumber skin!!!

#3 scottyb

scottyb

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 04:42 PM

Your exposure looks very nice. Were you shooting TTL or manual?

#4 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 04:11 AM

Attention Bob Jarman - Your next suit and gloves should be made from Sea Cucumber skin!!!

ROFLMAO!!! Now why didn't I think of that. :D

#5 MrFish

MrFish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 05:10 AM

The shot was taken using TTL and aperture priority

I actually have a very nice shot of the busines end of the a cucmber which was coming up the the lip of a prominant rock and so allowed me to be at his level, unfortunately i cannot show you that yet as the micridrive with those photos on is still in my camera which my wife has with her diving the Similans at the moment, but i shall put that one up in a couple of weeks or so.

I did wonder if having two distinct subjects within the same shot. i.e sea cucumber and pincushion star iscausing a distracting split in the shot
Dave Hopson

#6 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 05:32 AM

I did wonder if having two distinct subjects within the same shot.  i.e sea cucumber and pincushion star iscausing a distracting split in the shot

In this orientation maybe the cushion is too intruding, hence the vertical advice, but alas, sometimes we do not get a choice.

#7 MrFish

MrFish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 09:19 AM

This was another shot a did, better angle but not enough dof and inadequate lighting
Dave Hopson

#8 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 09:35 AM

The lighting and exposure are not too bad, but as you say just a little bit soft.

Big shame this would have been a cracking shot - Next time eh!

#9 MrFish

MrFish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 11:32 AM

Fortunately not all the photos on this trip suffered from the same problems.
was quite pleased with this close up of a scorpion fish.
Dave Hopson

#10 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 12:24 PM

Yes, Scorpions are always good subjects, but in order to transform the image into a masterpiece the angle is all important for 3rd parties to fully appreciate the subject. Lower, side or front on with a touch of upwards angle makes all the difference. I think there may be a little lag induced motion blur too.

Having said that, it is still a great record and every future trip will see your technique adapt to consider individual subjects and how best to approach and portray them.

#11 scottyb

scottyb

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 12:42 PM

Since you did not post the info about your shots, I will mention this just in case. I always shoot macro with the smallest aperture possible (F22, F22, or F22) thus gaining the most DOF possible. Then just pour the light to it and let your TTL do it's job. I found the exposure compensation settings to be very useful with my S2, +0.5 EV for my setup. I'm certainly no expert but quickly discovered that I didn't need to be to get correct exposure. Composition is another matter.

#12 scottyb

scottyb

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 09:20 AM

Mr Fish and anybody else that's interested, I just discovered a partial inaccuracy in my last statement. According to the owner's manual, the Nikkor 60mm has no variation of DOF for focus distances less than 12". It has a whopping 1/16" DOF, from 8 11/16" to 8 3/4", at the minimum focus distance of 8 3/4", consistenly through all the aperture settings. At focus distances of 1' and above, the DOF begins to vary through the f-stops, increasing with smaller aperture.

This caught me by surprise and goes against everything I thought I knew. I would guess that most of my photos are taken at 1' or more since the end of my port takes up the first 6-7".

#13 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 10:40 AM

Mr Fish and anybody else that's interested, I just discovered a partial inaccuracy in my last statement. According to the owner's manual, the Nikkor 60mm has no variation of DOF for focus distances less than 12". It has a whopping 1/16" DOF, from 8 11/16" to 8 3/4", at the minimum focus distance of 8 3/4", consistenly through all the aperture settings. At focus distances of 1' and above, the DOF begins to vary through the f-stops, increasing with smaller aperture.

This caught me by surprise and goes against everything I thought I knew. I would guess that most of my photos are taken at 1' or more since the end of my port takes up the first 6-7".

I verified the data in the owners manual but I think you need to go with what you know. DOF is a function of magnification and aperture.
Here are two pictures take (poorly) of my wall at minimum focus distance with the 60mm. First is f/2.8 and second is f/32.
Posted Image Posted Image

Here is the same test taken with the 105mm instead:
Posted Image Posted Image

These were taken with ambient light at ISO 1600 with a shaky tripod, so the quality isn't so good. It does demonstrate the point that DOF does vary with aperture even at the highest magnifications of these lenses.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#14 scottyb

scottyb

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 10:58 AM

Craig, those are excellent examples. They clearly show the difference. I will definitely continue to shoot the smallest aperture possible.

I was floored when I read that in the manual. It is clearly inaccurate.

#15 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 11:03 AM

Interestingly, DOF isn't a function of focal length, either.

Someone wrote than manual and at least one person reviewed it. Makes you wonder.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#16 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 07:00 AM

Interestingly, DOF isn't a function of focal length, either.

1) But it is. Focal length is a part of the formula

2) Nice job on the demonstration. All other factors being constant, f-stop must alter DOF

3) Although these are fixed focal lenght primes. The focal length is not fixed, especially with the 105mm.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#17 carl_goodier

carl_goodier

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 06:38 AM

here is the DOF graph for the 105mm

the y-axis is DOF (in mm) and the x-axis is the focus distance in meters

#18 carl_goodier

carl_goodier

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 06:41 AM

and here for the 60mm. Note, ratios are different for both lenses, so 0.5 meter is not the same ratio for 0.5m on the 105

All data comes stright from the manual. I think the imperial measures in the 105 manual are wrong as they are not the same as the coverted metric ones.