• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#201 Chuck Tribolet

Chuck Tribolet

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:41 AM

My GF has been trying to collect from DEPP for several months. She received this today:

Subject: TO OUR VALUED D.E.P.P. CUSTOMERS
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 11:44:49 -0500
To: <lreisinger@sbcglobal.net>

We continually try to improve the customer service experience with
D.E.P.P. As a part of these improvements, we are consolidating all
operations and administration for the D.E.P.P. Program into our
headquarters in Louisville, KY., effective immediately. Our office in
Palm Desert, CA will be closed November 1, 2011.

This consolidation will eliminate the confusion over which office handles
which aspect of D.E.P.P. administration and should help facilitate the
claim administration and payment. The telephone number for the
Louisville operation is (502) 565-4357. This is an automated system,
however with consolidated operations, the response and reconciliation time
should be drastically improved. Please direct all inquiries and
communications to our Louisville, KY headquarters, 1450 Gardner Lane, Box
13, Louisville, KY 40213-1974. If you pay by check please use this
address for premium payment. Our fax number will remain the same
775-640-6449

Sandy Hall or Bryan Goad will continue to responding to e-mails and
returning your calls.

We thank you and we appreciate your business. We believe the centralizing
of all D.E.P.P. operations is an important step in improving our customer
service.

When send e-mail to use, please use one of the following keywords on the
subject line.

CLAIM
DEPP
QUESTION
EQUIPMENT UPDATE

Since we have many customers outside the US, we are unable to block many
e-mails. We receive over 2500 spam e-mails a day and may possibly miss
your correspondence without the keyword listed on the subject line.

Sincerely;

Your D.E.P.P. Staff
Chuck Tribolet

#202 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:56 PM

Since we have many customers outside the US, we are unable to block many
e-mails. We receive over 2500 spam e-mails a day and may possibly miss
your correspondence without the keyword listed on the subject line. "

What does spam filtering have to do with what countries their customers send email from? Are they really this clueless? Sounds like just another excuse. Cutting my losses with DEPP and cancelling my plan was the best thing I did to give me peace of mind this year. I now set aside an amount equivalent to my annual premium. In case of a flood it might not cover a full new replacement, but it sure is a better solution than what DEPP offered. Good riddance, never again.

#203 Chuck Tribolet

Chuck Tribolet

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:21 AM

In late November my GF received an e-mail stating that she would be paid on Dec 2. No check ever arrived, and DEPP's 800 number is now disconnected.
Chuck Tribolet

#204 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

I have been corresponding with them about the details of the policy. Yesterday, I received this document in part, which if I am reading this correctly, says that if an airline looses my camera case, the limit of DEPP's liability is $1000. I can't imagine that this is correct, but that's how it reads to me anyway. Considering that can stuff about $12,000 worth of gear into my Pelican case, this pretty much defeats the point of having the insurance. I suppose I would need to keep my "all-perils" rider on my home-owners policy.

THIS ENDORSEMENT CHANGES THE POLICY. PLEASE READ IT CAREFULLY.

ENDORSEMENT NUMBER 1
This endorsement modifies insurance provided under the following:
COMMERCIAL INLAND MARINE COVERAGE FORM

The following changes are made to the policy, effective September 1, 2010:

Section VIII LIMITS OF INSURANCE, Item L. is added as follows:

L. In the event Covered Equipment is lost, stolen, or damaged in any way, in transit by way of a scheduled commercial mode of transportation, we will repair or replace the lost, stolen or damaged Covered Equipment to an aggregate maximum amount of USD $1,000 per trip. The limit of liability for this coverage shall not exceed the amount of insurance scheduled for each item of Covered Equipment, subject to the aggregate limitation above. No Coverage applies unless the claim has been properly filed with us and prior approval has been given by us, or our authorized representative. A trip is defined as all commercial modes of transportation beginning on the departure date of an event, including all commercial modes of transportation during the duration of an event, and on all commercial modes of transportation on the return date of an event.

#205 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

This change occurred last year. Many of us either reduced our coverage or left then all together. When I questioned this change, I was informed it had always been the case....what bunk. They stated this change was due to all of the theft that happened in US airports. All I know is that it is interesting that they are communicating with potential new clientele, when it sounds like there have been no improvements to their performance. Has anyone actually had a claim paid by them lately?

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#206 Chuck Tribolet

Chuck Tribolet

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:25 AM

In late November my GF received an e-mail stating that she would be paid on Dec 2. No check ever arrived, and DEPP's 800 number is now disconnected.

After involving the Attorneys General of California (where she lives) and Kentucky (where DEPP is located), my GF got a check from DEPP yesterday.
Chuck Tribolet

#207 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

Hey Chuck,
Good for your girlfriend. Too many people write off bad experiences like this thinking that when dealing with a company they will get no where. DEPP, unfortunately, has earned their bad reputation. I don't predict they will be around for too much longer. I highly recommend the gear insurance offered by DAN. Their service and responsiveness is excellent.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#208 S1mon

S1mon

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:53 PM

Dear All,

I have just sent in my papers to the Kentucky Insurance Commissioners Office, I have a guy there who is investigating the fraudulanet behaviour of Dixie and Deanne Lehrmitt at DEPP.

I would be happy to have a SHORT(1 paragraph) summary of your experience with DEPP to send along as a follow up to mine. It will help me and it will help you.

Please PM me today, asap, now please... this is happening now and I could use your help in trying to get my $3500 out of these people.

In return I will send you details of the investigator I am using and the guy at the Insurance Commissioners office. I will keep you informed of how it all goes.

I intend to follow this up with the Attorney Generals office. I really hate DEPP, they rely on us all having claims that are just a little too small to warrant a legal case.

Regards
Simon
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Kenneth Grahame (The Wind in the Willows)

#209 Taxgeek

Taxgeek

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:12 PM

Good work you're doing there Simon, I hope the people who have had problems all respond to you.

I'm posting a description of my experience dealing with the DAN insurance carrier (Senn Dunn Marsh is the broker, and some Marine insurance company is the actual insurer).

I flooded my brand spanking new 5dIII on Labor Day weekend. Filed a claim online when I got back, and got a nice email the same day from a gal at the marine insurance carrier with a list of the various papers she would require to process my claim. She was assigned to my case and I corresponded directly to her the entire time. It took me a couple of weeks to gather the papers, including sending the camera off to Canon for a repair estimate (statement of unrepairability - no local repair shops are willing to do that anymore). (Incidently, Canon sent my camera back to me free of charge with the statement of nonrepairability within a week!!!). After I sent that back to the insurance company, I got my check within 2 weeks. No muss, no fuss, no hassle, no delay. They even gave me an extra $100 because I had stated the camera was worth $3,400, on the insurance application, but it really costs $3,499, and they gave me the full $3,499. Less than 5 weeks, start to finish. I am beyond impressed. They also offered to pay the shipping to Canon but I forgot to give them the invoice for that.

So anybody who still uses DEPP, switch to the DAN insurance if you can!
Canon 5d, Ikelite housing, ULCS arms, and dual DS-125 strobes.

#210 ians.moyes@gmail.com

ians.moyes@gmail.com

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA, photography, computers. Pretty much anything geeky. lol

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:08 AM

Has anyone any experience with Westfield? http://www.divingins...m/equipment.htm I just came off the 'phone to them and they sound very credible.
Wreck divers are always bringing up the past

#211 Nunomix

Nunomix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Diving and more Diving. UW Photography.

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:22 AM

Is DEPP still in business? I try to go to their website but it never works

Nikon D300 / Nikon D700, Tokina 10-17 Fisheye, Nikon AF-S 14-24mm, Nikon 60mm, Nikon 105mm, Sea&Sea MDX-300, S&S TTL Converter, 2xS&S YS-110, S&S Glass Dome Port, S&S Compact Flat Port, S&S Extension Rings SX and 40 Fisheye Focus Light

http:/nunosanches.com/journal