#1 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1220 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 23 September 2006 - 05:04 PM

Very favorable, many comparisons to the Canon xTi 400, but Phil like the D80 better for the most part.

dP Review of Nikon D80

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:57 AM

I know there are many people on Wetpixel who have no time for Ken Rockwell; but I find his site to be a very useable reference for a quick overview of many subjects, particularly pertaining to Nikon. This D80 vs D200 comparison is an example.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1220 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:10 AM

Loftus;

Boy, it's the same on the dpreview forums, definitely a love him or hate him relationship.

I'm sure technically he makes a lot of mistakes/generalizations and so forth, but for me his information and approach helps quite a bit and is easy to understand.

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#4 timing

timing

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:35 AM

Going back to the D80 vs D200 question - is Ken Rockwell right?

Also, does the d200 really perform better than the D70 underwater - is it really worth the upgrade?

#5 UWphotoNewbie

UWphotoNewbie

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:09 PM

Going back to the D80 vs D200 question - is Ken Rockwell right?

Also, does the d200 really perform better than the D70 underwater - is it really worth the upgrade?

I'm not planning to upgrade. I'm just finally working the bugs out of my D70 system. Not ready to start all over with a new one. I think future SLRs will be easier but with lens/port issues, iTTL etc. getting a new system underwater isn't as simple as buying a new camera. I'd rather have a reliable system I knew was going to work for a while.

If you are going to upgrade go for the D200. At least then you will gain the pro features as well as the upgrades.

The main things I would like to have on the D200 not on my D70:

ISO 100 and lower noise overall
Mirror Lock Up (not for UW)
Faster focusing (non-AFS lenses)
More AF areas
Metal body with seals (not UW but maybe for travel)
More megapixels (improves your composition by allowing you more freedom to crop)
Larger LCD so you can see if you got the shot better
No moire

I'm going to wait it out and skip this generation. I expect I'll get all these and more with the D300. In the mean time I have a lot to learn about using my D70.

UWPhotoNewbie: Not such a newbie to diving and UW photography.

Nikon D70: 60 mm, 11-16mm, 105mm, 15mm, 10.5mm

Ikelite iTTL Housing, dual Ikelite DS125

Nikon D600 topside 14-24, 28-300, 70-200, 35,50,85

#6 timing

timing

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:36 PM

I'm going to wait it out and skip this generation. I expect I'll get all these and more with the D300. In the mean time I have a lot to learn about using my D70.

Yeah, this is where I kinda netted out - it'd be great if the next gen also had a good sensore cleaning system to. I guess I'm getting new camera cold turkey! I'm missing some shiny new gear in my life.

#7 Starbuck

Starbuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:00 PM

I have a D70 and D80....boy, the D80 is quantum steps ahead of D70 for U/W use.. I did not think the learning curve was that great from d70 to d80.... I can see using the D80 for many, many years to come. You just have to shoot auto iso for WA photos where lighting varies to really appreciate this one new feature in the d80. Not too mention the new grid lines, big viewfinder (you'll throw your d70 in the bin) and larger LCD.

If you can upgrade your housing may be a good time to sale D70 for 500 bucks on ebay..

M.
Michael V. Palasz
www.fishlens.com
D2X and D80 / Nexus / Ikelite / Inon / Heinrichs iTTL controller