• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kriptap

kriptap

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:24 PM

I am thinking of getting a video rig, but never shooting it before, well not much am unsure what to get. I want something a little advanced as I grow out of things quick. I am looking for a something new'ish (just came out) with a good housing. Does anyone have any advice on when to look for and WHY, links to those would be great. Thanks

#2 Mike L

Mike L

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:06 PM

Now is a great time to get into video as the new cameras literrally just came out! When you say advanced...that is a bit broad. On the video side, there are big gaps between categories. There are some pretty sophisticated single sensor cameras that just came out (Sony XR 520 and Canon HF S10). The Sony has 4 or 5 housings already out for it. The Canon will have a housing from Gates out later this summer.

Things to look for on the camera, and in a housing:

Manual White Balance Control
Manual Focus
Ergonomics
Port optics (the housing's port makes a huge difference)
Price (this is very relative).

Light and Motion just released some new housings for the Sony XR 500 and 520 cameras. The Bluefin Pro will give you the most control over the camera and is extremely sexy looking to say the least. The new Seatool for the XR 520 is extremely compact and has a monitor back standard (as does all of the L&M Housings).

When I fit a housing to a customer I really try to get an idea of what they will be shooting, their budget, and their dive experience. All of the housings are great....but some work better than others for some divers.
Mike Luzansky
H2O Photo Pros Underwater Photo & Video THE Underwater Imaging Headquarters
Gates Underwater Video Housings The Ultimate Gates Underwater Housing Resource
Nauticam Underwater Housings The Nauticam Underwater Housing Headquarters!
Marine Visions The Choice for Underwater Professionals

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:44 AM

Kriptap
It would help if you tell us what you want to do with the rig? It is virtually impossible to list all the possible rigs without your needs. New isn't always the best.
You'll find that the consumer HD segment has reached the codec's limit of 24mpbs. So now they are throwing in features into the camcorder to keep it going until the next generation . HDV is mostly pushed by Canon and Sony.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:42 AM

Light and Motion have made some incredible improvements to their systems over the past year. First it was the Sunray 1000 and 2000 led lights which provide the ability to adjust the lumens settings depending upon whether you are shooting macro or wide angle, then they came out with their two Fathoms ports which are outstanding pieces of glass and improve their image qualities ten fold, and now they have the best monitors bar none for getting that critical focus. Huge improvements in their service center have also come a long way.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 wolfeeldiver

wolfeeldiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Interests:Finally getting into creating underwater videos after 30 yrs of shooting stills. Now were having fun!

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:08 PM

I recommend that you research the housing manufactures for what models they make housings for, THEN shop for the camera, not the other way around. Check out Gates, Amphibico, Light and Motion. And dont be afraid to mix and match. I got a Gates housing, and the Light and Motion Sunray LED lights, a good combo.

#6 Video-Joe

Video-Joe

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:19 PM

I recommend that you research the housing manufactures for what models they make housings for, THEN shop for the camera, not the other way around. Check out Gates, Amphibico, Light and Motion. And dont be afraid to mix and match. I got a Gates housing, and the Light and Motion Sunray LED lights, a good combo.

Aquatica would also be a housing contender to look at, they just announced their first digital HD housing for the new Sony HDR-XR-500/520, there is a thread started in this video gear & technique section, which gives more details about their new housing. They are also considering the new Canon HF S10.
Joe Bendahan
AKA: Video-Joe
Amphibico
www.amphibico.com
Marketing Guy

#7 sjspeck

sjspeck

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Interests:U/W Video

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:03 AM

Aquatica would also be a housing contender to look at, they just announced their first digital HD housing for the new Sony HDR-XR-500/520, there is a thread started in this video gear & technique section, which gives more details about their new housing. They are also considering the new Canon HF S10.

Are the details on your website yet?

#8 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:44 AM

I think VideoJoe is referring to WP's threads for the Aquatica Video housing and HFS-10. Do a search in this subforum.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#9 wolfeeldiver

wolfeeldiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Interests:Finally getting into creating underwater videos after 30 yrs of shooting stills. Now were having fun!

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:53 PM

Aquatica would also be a housing contender to look at...

My bad for not recommending Aquatica too... :)
The point I was trying to make, was to not visit your local electronics retailer, buy whatever slick video camera they are pushing this week, only to be saddened that no manufacturer makes a housing for it. There are a limited set of video cameras being supported by the housing manufacturers.

Also, even if you are a beginner and on a consumer budget, but if you are still striving for excellence in your videos be sure to get a system that supports manual white balance as well as manual exposure and focus controls. Not all cameras, and not all housings, support manual WB.

I recommend you also spend some time searching and scanning the various threads on this forum. There is much real world, good advice on here in past posts about various housing systems and much good advise was posted here above.

For me, my personal decision was to go with a Sony HC7 in a Gates Housing, with the Fathom port. Definetely not a broadcast camera but if you work it right, you can get some very decent results in a package that can all fit in one carry on sized bag. Check out my video postings at the link below, and you'll see some of my results with this configuration taken over the past year. I've shot with this rig both wide angle and closeup, from dives in dirty green Puget Sound Washington State waters, to temperate California waters, to the blue tropical Grand Cayman waters.
http://www.vimeo.com...eos/sort:newest

Edited by wolfeeldiver, 12 April 2009 - 08:15 PM.