• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:44 AM

I am far-sighted and use one day disposable contact lenses and i have no particular problem with wearing them.
The only problem is that when i use far-sight glasses or lenses i can't read anymore near/ i become near-sighted, so
i have to choose carefully the power to be in the middle between both values, otherwise i can't read my gauges and screen under water.
I use less power on the far sight to gain near-sight but probably will go the way of a prescription or bifocal dive mask as it is a
"cheap" but effective solution, but it limit the choice of the mask.
As far i heard, i could not dive for several months after the laser and this is for my job as dive instructor impossible and i know 2 people who had
serious issues after the Laser treatment and their vision got worster.
This may be isolated cases and shit always happen, but i am scared that this kind of shit happens to my eyes....
Probably the new laser techniques are less invasive and resolve some of the "early" problems of laser eye surgery bt for this moment
i am fine with wearing contact lenses.
I used also stick-on lenses and my experience with them are rather good, not high quality and sometimes you may loose one of them,
but a cheap and quick solution. The important thing to do is 1 clean the mask perfectly and 2 not using the mask for a few days after
the stick-on lens was mounted.

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#42 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

I have used these folk for many years and paid to have lens put in my mask at reasonable costs. Linda Young is usually at the DEMA show with a booth but if you can't wait that long, I do recommend them.
http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/
Steve

Edited by Steve Douglas, 25 March 2012 - 01:33 PM.

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#43 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

I have used these folk for many years and paid to have lens put in my mask at reasonable costs. Linda Young is usually at the DEMA show with a booth but if you can't wait that long, I do recommend them.
http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/
Steve

As I mentioned earlier, I've now tried several approaches, including a standard, unmodified mask, stick-on bifocal lenses, generic corrective lenses, custom-made mask, and customized lens in my own mask.

And the winner is: a customized lens in my own mask done by http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/

After Steve's recommendation, I contacted these guys in San Diego, sent them my mask, my prescription and some pupil distance measurements.

The results are excellent. Ive just done 25 dives with the mask and it works perfectly. With vis in the Banda Sea up to 50 meters on some dives, I could see clearly as far as the water column allowed. With the bifocals, I could read my video monitor better than I've seen it in years, great for judging critical focus on macro shots. And, with it built into my own mask (ScubaPro Frameless), it was comfortable, watertight and familiar.

Why is this better than the SeaVision mask that I tried earlier? Mainly fit. The SeaVision, a generic twin lens mask, tended to leak slightly below the nose. I tried it on several dives but could not get it to stay dry. The ScubaPro Frameless, which I've used for years, is comfortable and dry. But also the SeaVision nose piece tends to be a bit obtrusive. So, for the bifocal lens, I tended to end up looking at the video monitor through one eye or the other.

So, strong, unsolicitated endorsement for the guys at Prescription Dive Masks.

Regards
Peter