• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:44 AM

I am far-sighted and use one day disposable contact lenses and i have no particular problem with wearing them.
The only problem is that when i use far-sight glasses or lenses i can't read anymore near/ i become near-sighted, so
i have to choose carefully the power to be in the middle between both values, otherwise i can't read my gauges and screen under water.
I use less power on the far sight to gain near-sight but probably will go the way of a prescription or bifocal dive mask as it is a
"cheap" but effective solution, but it limit the choice of the mask.
As far i heard, i could not dive for several months after the laser and this is for my job as dive instructor impossible and i know 2 people who had
serious issues after the Laser treatment and their vision got worster.
This may be isolated cases and shit always happen, but i am scared that this kind of shit happens to my eyes....
Probably the new laser techniques are less invasive and resolve some of the "early" problems of laser eye surgery bt for this moment
i am fine with wearing contact lenses.
I used also stick-on lenses and my experience with them are rather good, not high quality and sometimes you may loose one of them,
but a cheap and quick solution. The important thing to do is 1 clean the mask perfectly and 2 not using the mask for a few days after
the stick-on lens was mounted.

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#42 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

I have used these folk for many years and paid to have lens put in my mask at reasonable costs. Linda Young is usually at the DEMA show with a booth but if you can't wait that long, I do recommend them.
http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/
Steve

Edited by Steve Douglas, 25 March 2012 - 01:33 PM.

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#43 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

I have used these folk for many years and paid to have lens put in my mask at reasonable costs. Linda Young is usually at the DEMA show with a booth but if you can't wait that long, I do recommend them.
http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/
Steve

As I mentioned earlier, I've now tried several approaches, including a standard, unmodified mask, stick-on bifocal lenses, generic corrective lenses, custom-made mask, and customized lens in my own mask.

And the winner is: a customized lens in my own mask done by http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/

After Steve's recommendation, I contacted these guys in San Diego, sent them my mask, my prescription and some pupil distance measurements.

The results are excellent. Ive just done 25 dives with the mask and it works perfectly. With vis in the Banda Sea up to 50 meters on some dives, I could see clearly as far as the water column allowed. With the bifocals, I could read my video monitor better than I've seen it in years, great for judging critical focus on macro shots. And, with it built into my own mask (ScubaPro Frameless), it was comfortable, watertight and familiar.

Why is this better than the SeaVision mask that I tried earlier? Mainly fit. The SeaVision, a generic twin lens mask, tended to leak slightly below the nose. I tried it on several dives but could not get it to stay dry. The ScubaPro Frameless, which I've used for years, is comfortable and dry. But also the SeaVision nose piece tends to be a bit obtrusive. So, for the bifocal lens, I tended to end up looking at the video monitor through one eye or the other.

So, strong, unsolicitated endorsement for the guys at Prescription Dive Masks.

Regards
Peter

#44 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2005 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:03 AM

Peter,

- Did you get the "bifocal" or "readers" style as per the images on their website?

- Is the rest of the glass around the small lens just plain, or is that also corrected to a lesser extent?

- Did you mark up a lens and send it to them in the USA or did they supply your mask?

- Are you still happy with the mask?

Cheers

p.s. Going forward I'm not really happy with the Aqualung Look 2 bifocals. The image isn't great, with a bit of chromatic aberration. Also on my radar is the Tusa Liberator Plus with corrective lenses. The whole lens is corrected, rather then just a small part at the bottom. I reckon my distance vision would be acceptable to about +1.5, maybe +2.0 before being too over-corrected.

#45 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:22 AM

Peter,

- Did you get the "bifocal" or "readers" style as per the images on their website?

- Is the rest of the glass around the small lens just plain, or is that also corrected to a lesser extent?

- Did you mark up a lens and send it to them in the USA or did they supply your mask?

- Are you still happy with the mask?

Cheers

I got the "bifocal" style.  The main lens corrects for my short-sightedness and astigmatism and the small lens in the corner gives magnification for reading gauges and for looking at my camera monitor.  Actually, it is one piece of glass that's been cut for both purposes and then optically welded into the inner surface of the mask.

Having my short-sightedness corrected in the mask has one upside.  I wear the mask in the dinghy to and from the dive site so I can see.  And, when I surface at the end of a dive at the busy dive site, I no longer have to figure out which "blur" to swim towards...

It did take a little while to get used to wearing them.  I have to look at the camera with my head slightly lifted and my eyes dropped down and the opposite for scanning the surroundings.  Felt a bit like one of those nodding dogs people used to put in the back window of their car.  But all good now. 

Yes, I bought the mask here in Singapore, checking for good seal and comfortable fit.  In my case, I chose the ScubaPro frameless mask.  But any mask will do.

Then I went to my local optician, also here in Singapore.  I explained what I wanted to do.  She did a full eye test for me, optimising distance viewing at 5 to 10 meters (typically where one looks underwater) and optimising reading to 0.8 meter (the distance from the mask to the camera monitor).  Then she did the pupil marking.

I sent the mask to the US and it came back a few weeks later.

Yes, I am still happy with the mask.  So much so that, a few months ago when I noticed the rubber getting a bit hard in the mask skirt, I went through the whole process again.  So, now I have a new one that'll last the next few years and an old one that I use in the swimming pool.

Regards

Peter

#46 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2005 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:55 PM

Thanks Peter. I have emailed prescriptiondivemasks.com with all my details and I'm waiting for their reply. I think we're both planning on an Atomos Shogun atop the GH4 when it's ready and I'm thinking of holding back on a custom mask order as I feel taller bifocal lenses might be preferable because of the height of the rig. What do you think? Are you using a monitor on top of your GH4 at the moment?

#47 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:33 PM

Hi Nick,

I don't like the idea of putting the monitor on top of the GH4 housing. One big problem with all these housed cameras, DSLR or mirrorless, (when compared with housed camcorders) is "pitch" stability. Putting the monitor on top is going to make that worse. With lights, it is already difficult to stop pitch movement. The monitor would make it worse. Plus you get tired wrists.

I'm working with David Cheung of ScubaCam to design a way of putting the Shogun monitor behind the NA-GH4. We are thinking of an aluminium milled "cheese board" that can bolt underneath the NA housing and then the monitor would be "line astern" behind the camera, with a small gap to allow finger access to the buttons on the back of the housing (although, if you follow the preset Custom Modes and preset WB method, these buttons are rarely required when shooting). The monitor will be on a small swivel so the angle can be changed, at least on the vertical axis. Then the monitor can be viewed from most useful angles. Hopefully that'll work OK with the current positioning of my bifocal lenses in the mask.

We are just waiting to get hold of a NA housing for the Shogen so we can build the cheese plate to the right dimensions.

Regards
Peter

#48 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2005 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:49 AM

I hear what you're saying. Sounds like a decent plan and I will follow your developments with interest. In my fantasies I envisage just adding more buoyancy above the Shogun and more weight at the bottom (if necessary) to keep the thing trimmed upright. I like a big rig for stability purposes. I do realise that in reality such a rig might get ridiculously tall, cumbersome and draggy to push along. Haven't even got my housing and other accessories yet, but it's finally on order.

We digress...

#49 thani

thani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Water

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:21 AM

Hi guys,

I was thinking of the same prescriptiondivemask but then I run into the disposal contact lenses for close reading. You just wear one in one eye off course :) and it takes a bit adjusting to it.
It works and now I always wear one when shooting. As a refrence I use it with Blackmagic 2.5k & 4k cameras.

Attached Images

• image.jpg

Best Regards,
Thani

#50 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:06 AM

Hi guys,
I was thinking of the same prescriptiondivemask but then I run into the disposal contact lenses for close reading. You just wear one in one eye off course :) and it takes a bit adjusting to it.
It works and now I always wear one when shooting. As a refrence I use it with Blackmagic 2.5k & 4k cameras.

Does it make you swim around in circles? :)

#51 thani

thani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Water

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:37 AM

Does it make you swim around in circles? :)

Actually, I think it does Peter :)
Last time I used the lens I got separated from my buddy and ended up where I started the dive. Just kidding. It really works. I am used to wearing contact lenses and it solves the reading/focus issue for me which is a big challenge when you only have the option of manual focus on cameras such as Blackmagic cameras.
I hope others can benefit from this solution.

Edited by thani, 24 October 2014 - 09:40 AM.

Best Regards,
Thani

#52 sjspeck

sjspeck

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Interests:U/W Video

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:18 PM

These are the people that supply the corrective lenses many dive retailers like LeisurePro sell. (Aquatic Optics brand)

IDK if they sell to the public.

http://www.newportglass.com/aqucat.htm

Edited by sjspeck, 25 October 2014 - 09:19 PM.