11 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:59 PM

I just wrote a full report about my first NAB Show experience. Keep in mind that I am both a video and 3D newbie!

Posted Image
Link: http://wetpixel.com/...port-las-vegas/
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:38 AM

Great write-up Eric. I've been looking into experimenting with 3D underwater, as I think it's a really exciting area. I'd already been thinking of mounting two gopro heros together as an inexpensive way of experimenting with 3D underwater, so it's interesting that they're developing the stereo housing. Unfortunately it seems that the current gopros are out of focus underwater, so seem to need some modification to optics to work properly when submerged, but there's potential as the cameras are so small you can get a reasonable IO distance. No monitor though, so framing would be a bit hit or miss.

I've also been in touch with this guy in Germany who is building housings for a pair of small sony hdv cams. He sent me some sample footage which played on a 3D player with the red/cyan glass and the 3D effect seems to work pretty well. Colours would obviously look better using a polarised viewing system, or the active 3D glasses.

http://www.digi-dat...._eng.html#scuba

Would love to get two dslrs housed side by side, but as you mention, not sure how well the effect would work, especially with fisheyes and close subjects.
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#3 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:06 AM

Unfortunately it seems that the current gopros are out of focus underwater, so seem to need some modification to optics to work properly when submerged, but there's potential as the cameras are so small you can get a reasonable IO distance. No monitor though, so framing would be a bit hit or miss.

GoPro is going to work on putting a flat port on the housing to help the system to focus underwater. I'll find out more from them. I ordered 2 at NAB pricing ($200 for ... motorsports kit, I think?) and am going to do some 3D stuff on land. ;)
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#4 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:34 PM

Looks pretty neat....more toys...lol
I wonder what the 3D focus range will be underwater.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#5 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:44 PM

Those Go Pro's are bloody awesome, I used one for some surf stuff and they are amazing for the money. I just wish they also shot 25 and 50 fps.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#6 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:46 PM

Which Go Pro did you use Jonny? What depth can you take it to?
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#7 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:08 PM

The current HD GoPros cannot focus underwater because of their tiny domes. I've seen 2 homebrew fixes, and GoPro are working on a fix, themselves.

Here's my hack 3D GoPro setup! :)

I use a plate on the back to align the cameras.

Attached Files

eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#8 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:13 AM

Click through and view this in 3D at 720p with your anaglyph glasses (or in whatever mode you can see). I shot this today in Monterey with the above 3D GoPro setup.
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#9 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:09 AM

Hey Eric,
I only had a pair of those cheapo red and blue lens in cardboard glasses to use and there certainly was a greater depth to the image. Now to develop a workflow to converge the 2 images to one and to burn it that way as well.
Nice setup you made.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#10 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:32 AM

Am here in Joburg where they are prepping for the world premiere of the first 3D live broadcast of the FIFA world cup. Nelson Mandela Sq is filled with a tent with 3D projector for the lucky few who get in. I will be hunting sardines so won't bother with that. But Sony is making a big play for 3D.
On a side note, many producers and directors have refused 2D-3D post conversion for older films. It'll be interesting to see how this "new" trend plays out.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#11 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:30 PM

Hey Eric,
How about writing up your editing workflow for this system from download to finished project. That would be an amazing article I think.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#12 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:06 PM

Click through and view this in 3D at 720p with your anaglyph glasses (or in whatever mode you can see). I shot this today in Monterey with the above 3D GoPro setup.

Watching clips like this and getting the 3D effect without any glass is quite easy as well, one you get the hang of it. ;)
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au