39 replies to this topic

#21 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1534 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:23 PM

Nobody minds being quoted as in attributable text. What we don't like is to read something that sounds very familiar only to realise later that we wrote it!

If I Google my name, I find masses of material of mine that has been taken from its original source and translated into many different languages - usually Eastern European or Chinese. I might not get paid but at least it's attributed, which is how it comes up on the search. How much stuff is not, I wonder?

It's also quite strange to find myself reviewing a book that is well written but know that the authors started out on their careers by cut & pasting my stuff!

I know of one successful professional who started off by showing the work of a now venerated British film-maker/underwater photographer as his own. No names, no pack drill but older Brits might know who I mean.

I was assuming that is what you would say but wanted to make sure. When you write scientific papers you often do both, a direct quote with an attribution and then a hard reference to a published work. But beware the unverifiable personal communication.

thanks
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#22 Tjsnapper

Tjsnapper

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:57 AM

My other half once waited nearly 4 years for payment, for a set of photos commissioned for a magazine. Emails were sent and promises of payment came and deadlines went etc etc. As it was "only Ģ350" (her words not mine), and she was no longer taking photos, she said it was not worth chasing it and had written it off. I got on the case though and after a couple of months of chasing and a threat of legal action the money finally arrived in her account. It is a shame that it sometimes has to come to the threat of legal action but clearly some magazines hope you will "go away" if you leave it long enough especially if you are a young girl!!

To get back to the original point though, I am finding more an more that, unless you know the individuals involved in the magazines, you need some sort of written contract sorted before you send images.
No diving for 3 weeks-- work work work.
Web:www.tristanjonesphotography.com
Email:info@tristanjonesphotography.com
Blog:Visit My Blog

#23 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:43 AM

To get back to the original point though, I am finding more an more that, unless you know the individuals involved in the magazines, you need some sort of written contract sorted before you send images.

You've hit the nail on the head. I used to undertake assignments often costing more than Ģ30,000 with the nod on the telephone and the paperwork to follow later - but I knew who I was dealing with and they knew me. A magazine editor that approaches you out of the blue will be able to approach someone else tomorrow.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#24 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:12 AM

The value of paperwork up front is only has "value" when things - like non-payment - go wrong......but when (not if) things do go wrong the benefits of a paper audit trail is not to be underestimated.
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#25 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:27 AM

Well after being promised that I'd receive my belated payment by the End Of May, behold it's now June and no payment and no explanation :)

How can a respected publication use such business practices with its contributors. This can only generate bad publicity and bad Karma.

Certainly not going to let this one go until I receive satisfaction and I have referred this thread to other contributors.

I have an issue with another Asian magazine, a major one also. They published one of my images on a full page, and I had been expecting payment over several months. In my case they change the editor, which was my main contact with the magazine and I lost track of the payment issue, after a while I start sending emails over all contacts on their website and I receive several emails from the editor working through the problem. He was very professional and apologizes to me for the huge delay, kudos to him.

Accounting dept. also promise payment by the end of the month, letīs hope they do.

Just my 2 cents.

Rodriguez I hope at least you received the promised payment?

NOT HAPPY JOHN!

Cheers,
Jim :)

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#26 rodriguezfelix

rodriguezfelix

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:UWP, Surf, Travel

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:39 AM

Hi Jim, actually I havenīt receive payment yet or confirmation for it. But I got contacted again by Finance dept. asking for the invoice (3rd time btw).

I understand overhauls on companies, and financial disruptions, but I think ethics must be in order. I wrote them again yesterday, Iīm waiting for the comeback.

Iīm confident that scuba diver aa will pay, maybe is the emails from Diego García (New Chief Editor), Victor Ow (Circulation/Distrubution Manager), and some people over financial dept. (Irene, Cagreen), they seem honest.

Iīm not making a living out of UWP, but I know that there are many people that actually does, and for that sole reason I never give an image for free or credits. And believe me, if I didnīt get my money, I will do everything I can in order to get it.

Hold on a little, at least with sdaa, I think they are trying to do the right thing (or at least I hope so).

#27 Gudge

Gudge

Tiger Shark

• Team Wetpixel
  • 537 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:59 PM

I just got an email from the finance department that my cheque is in the mail for my images published last year. Hope everyone else is getting good news too.
Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D housing, 2 x Inon Z240, 1 x Inon S2000, Tokina 10-17 & 12-24, Sigma 17-70 Macro, Tokina 35 macro, Canon 60 & 100 macro, Tamron 2X & Kenko 1.X Teleconverters.

#28 rodriguezfelix

rodriguezfelix

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:27 AM

I got the same email 3 weeks ago... still waiting...

#29 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:53 PM

I got the same old chestnut too "The cheques in the mail" :)

Jim.

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#30 rodriguezfelix

rodriguezfelix

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:58 PM

This start to looks shady.... I still want to believe in the good intention of people, but I am starting to realize that if they want to pay us, they easily could have done it by now....

Now I think... If a magazine under the SCUBADIVER (AA) brand do this, what is left for smaller, regional magazines??? They are the OFFICIAL PUBLICATION OF PADI DIVING SOCIETY !!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by rodriguezfelix, 29 June 2010 - 01:21 PM.

#31 rodriguezfelix

rodriguezfelix

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

This was mine BTW.

Sin_t_tulo_1.jpg

#32 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

It appears they are coming by Sea Mail Posted Image Very lame practices indeed from a magazine publisher that pretends to be an industry leader.

#33 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:09 AM

Well after 12 months, dozens of emails, a public shaming and much gnashing of teeth; I have finally received a cheque from Asian Geographic
for my images published in 'Scuba Diver Australasia' and 'Asian Diver'. The whole experience has been one of broken promises and continued
irresponsibleness.

Rodriquez and Gudge, I do hope that yours have also arrived or are not far off.

To others still waiting, keep insisting that the publisher meets their legal obligations. They are counting on you to give up on seeing your dues.

For those that give their images away to publishers, please spare a thought for others that may want to be partially recompensed for their
hard work. If you devalue your work you devalue everyone else's at the same time.

If you are considering submitting to these publications consider yourself forewarned.

I went into this with good intentions and trusted the assurances I received that I would receive payments. Obviously my goodwill was not shared :)

Now I hope that the cheque doesn't bounce...................

Jim :notworthy:

#34 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:20 AM

Well after 12 months, dozens of emails, a public shaming and much gnashing of teeth; I have finally received a cheque from Asian Geographic
for my images published in 'Scuba Diver Australasia' and 'Asian Diver'. The whole experience has been one of broken promises and continued
irresponsibleness.

Rodriquez and Gudge, I do hope that yours have also arrived or are not far off.

To others still waiting, keep insisting that the publisher meets their legal obligations. They are counting on you to give up on seeing your dues.

For those that give their images away to publishers, please spare a thought for others that may want to be partially recompensed for their
hard work. If you devalue your work you devalue everyone else's at the same time.

If you are considering submitting to these publications consider yourself forewarned.

I went into this with good intentions and trusted the assurances I received that I would receive payments. Obviously my goodwill was not shared :)

Now I hope that the cheque doesn't bounce...................

Jim :notworthy:

Congratulations on your persistence Jim. The 12 months of waiting beat my 250 or so days of overdue payment......

To those owed money, I hope Jim's experiences are both encouraging and something to learn from.

Edited by decosnapper, 06 July 2010 - 12:22 AM.

Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#35 Gudge

Gudge

Tiger Shark

• Team Wetpixel
  • 537 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:48 PM

My cheque arrived today!
Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D housing, 2 x Inon Z240, 1 x Inon S2000, Tokina 10-17 & 12-24, Sigma 17-70 Macro, Tokina 35 macro, Canon 60 & 100 macro, Tamron 2X & Kenko 1.X Teleconverters.

#36 rodriguezfelix

rodriguezfelix

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:21 AM

Apparently all our claims works alter all… My cheque from Scubadiver AA also arrives this week. I really hope this magazines work better in paying photographers that made their magazine after all…

#37 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:30 PM

Just stumbled on this thread and, Wow, can I relate. I was a freelance writer for Asian Diver magazine for a few years and not only would they not send checks, they would insist on money transfers to my bank which created bank transfer fees that came out of my end. They would take months to pay, not pay what was agreed upon, and edited the heck out of the articles. The last year I wrote for them before I had had enough, they had something like 5 separate editors come and go within one year. Asian Diver Magazine is owned by an umbrella corporation that, apparently has several magazines of different genres under its wings, but I just gave up on them.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#38 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

Old thread I know but the content still appears relevant as a warning to others after reading about Todd Betl's
issues with receiving his prize or even some communication from Asian Geographic-
http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=47893

These are of course not isolated instances-
http://www.lightstal...c-is-not-paying
http://www.lightstal...butors-invoices

Forewarned is forearmed.

Cheers,
Jim.

#39 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

Ha, glad to read this. I was contacted while I was in the Phillipines on a dive trip by an Asian Diver editorial assistant to write a story.

We have a section entitled How It Works, which basically covers a different kind of dive gear/accessory every issue. As it happens, we're dealing with underwater strobes in our upcoming issue, and we would really love to have you, an expert in strobes, to contribute an article.

The story will just be a brief 500 words or so, and focuses on the technical aspects of different strobes, their design perhaps, what to look out for in using particular strobes, and also the newest technology employed to create the most advanced products. I understand that you write for a blog as well, and thus have the confidence that you are definitely suitable to come in. For your contribution as well as a 30 word (max) bio of yourself, we can offer a token sum of SGD160.

The only thing is, we only managed to get your contact this morning, but would need the story by the end of today (US time).

I told her no, an article like that a) can't be written in 500 word or in 2 hours, b) I'm not really an engineer and c) I'm diving from 6am-4pm. She wrote again asking for an outline, that they would "write it for me". I wasn't wild about that, but maybe if I, or my staff could review the article for facts. She declined.

What a joke.

Jack

Edited by JackConnick, 03 October 2012 - 08:35 PM.

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#40 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:19 PM

Ha, glad to read this. I was contacted while I was in the Phillipines on a dive trip by an Asian Diver editorial assistant to write a story.

I told her no, an article like that a) can't be written in 500 word or in 2 hours, b) I'm not really an engineer and c) I'm diving from 6am-4pm. She wrote again asking for an outline, that they would "write it for me". I wasn't wild about that, but maybe if I, or my staff could review the article for facts. She declined.

What a joke.

Jack

LOL Posted Image journalism at its best!

Cheers,
Jim.