Photo
- - - - -

Nauticam 45 viewfinder. What does the dioptre adjustment knob do?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Trevor Rees

Trevor Rees

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:UK underwater photography

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:42 AM

This might be an odd question, but can anyone tell me what the dioptre adjustment knob actually does? Is there a particular eyesight problem that this can help with? Would it be an alternative to a presciption mask for example?

#2 johnjvv

johnjvv

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:24 AM

You will be able to adjust it to suit you eye sight but what about when you are not looking through the viewfinder??

#3 Trevor Rees

Trevor Rees

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:43 AM

In my case my eyes have just started to loose the ability to close focus. It's an inevitable age related problem that must affect lots of us. I still have no need for glasses day to day and seeing wide angle scenes is not an issue. It's the close up macro stuff where things are not so sharp. Hence my question, would a viewfinder with a dioptre adjustment be my answer?

#4 johnjvv

johnjvv

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:46 AM

I recently started using a the VF you are referring to, my eyesight is alright however the one eye is different than the other and I can tune it to see with either eye. I think it is fair to say that if you can adjust the dial to on your camera to suit your eyes then you should be able to do the same with the VF. The knob on the Nauticam is easy to adjust, moreover the magnification that you get from it helps a great deal to see your subjects better, although you need to practice your aim with the 45 degree. Are you already using a viewfinder or have you been using the one the housing came with, if the latter the you would see a big difference if you got the VF.

#5 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:59 AM

Hi Trevor,

I recently got a Nauticam 45 degree VF (for my NA-5D3) and it is a far better instrument than the INON 45 degree VFs which are fitted to my NA-7Ds. The image is brighter and crisper and with the dioptre adjuster I can compensate for my long range corrected vision because of the contact lenses I wear when diving.
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#6 Trevor Rees

Trevor Rees

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:21 AM

I've been using the Inon 45 for a few years now and can't imagine using a housing without such a device.
I'm trying to decide if changing to the Nauticam to get the dioptre adjustment would help me. Depressingly, I can see increasing long sightedness in my future!
Cuiously, I've not found the tiny adjustment knob on the back of my D90 viewfinder does much for me. Everything is best with the adjuster in the middle position.

#7 MarkD

MarkD

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

Hi Trevor,

AFAIK, the Nauticam diopter adjustment does just the same thing as the adjustment on the camera viewfinder which is of course not accessible underwater. Useful if - the adjustment on the camera got shifted and you didn't notice before putting in the housing; you swap eyes and and your eyes don't require the same correction or your prescription mask doesn't quite correct equally each side; you lend your rig to someone else underwater. In practice I can't remember ever using the diopter adjustment underwater.

As we get older (from about 40 on), our ability to shift focus from distance to close inevitably deteriorates - presbyopia - which is why most of us need reading glasses, bifocals or varifocals eventually. So I'm guessing it becomes more difficult to shift focus to the viewfinder image if this isn't at an optimal distance. I've read somewhere that SLR's typically present the viewfinder image at about 3 feet. The effects of presbyopia can also be mitigated by increased illumination which I'm guessing works by increasing our eye's depth of field although there may also be retinal effects. So a brighter viewfinder image - and perhaps a focus light - will also help.

I found the standard viewfinder on the Ikelite housing I had at the time almost unusable and changing to a Nauticam viewfinder was a revelation! I can't compare with the Inon viewfinder as I've never used one, but I do have both 180 and 45 Nauticams (I think I've stopped using the 180!). If you would like to see what they are like compared with the Inon, I can bring them to BUPG on Tuesday evening - let me know. I doubt the diopter adjustment itself will be a big help unless your D90's integral adjustment is faulty, but I couldn't live without my Nauticam viewfinder,

Regards, Mark

#8 Trevor Rees

Trevor Rees

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

Amazing! - Two quality replies from people in my own Bristol photo group.
Mark, I'll PM you about Tues night.

#9 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

I’ll put one aside for you Trevor ;)
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#10 Trevor Rees

Trevor Rees

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

Reassuring indeed Alex, that your thoughts are with me at this difficult time.