Photo
- - - - -

Can you use a diopter with a 60mm micro lens?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 11:09 AM

OK, the housing's in the mail, and until I can afford the 105mm, is it possible to use a diopter, say +4 with the 60mm micro lens and macro port? (Aquatica A100) Would the results have acceptable sharpness, or would it be just too much glass?
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 12:50 PM

A diopter just brings in the infinite focus to 1 meter or less.

That means it will let you focus closer than the lenses usual closest focus - thereby obtaining higher magnification.

The 60mm already focuses very close to get 1:1 (8" I think) so a diopter won't help much. You may be able to get higher magnification at say 4" but you won't be able to light the shot at that distance.

What you might try instead is using the 60mm with a 1.4x or 2x Teleconverter. This will require an extension ring for your port though.

HTH
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 01:47 PM

Thanks James,

I have a 1.4X converter and the 105mm extension ring. Hopefully that will be long enough to do the trick.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 03:07 PM

That just might work. Try it out and see. The front element of the 60mm is not serrated, so hopefully it won't scratch your port if it hits it...

I know firsthand to check this before using a diopter with a serrated rim on it...

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#5 mandarinfish

mandarinfish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 10:37 PM

The 60mm + a teleconverter will typically fit in a port that accepts the 105mm. What you won't get is any manual focus control, and if you have a focus ring on the lens, it might interfere with the gear on the port. I don't know if you like to use AF or MF for macro. I like to use MF, but if I'm using a lens setup where I have no MF control, I simulate it by programming the camera (D100, F100, etc) to use the AF-on or AF-lock for focus, and not the shutter release. This allows me to get the focus to a certain point, then fine tune by moving the camera, and shoot, similar to what I do with MF. It's much easier for me (small hands) than trying to lock focus and shoot at once.

For the 60mm, I'd favor the teleconverter over the diopter.