3 replies to this topic

#1 bear35

bear35

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Hi guys,

Has anyone got any advice on diving the Azores?  I am finding it hard to get any advice on where would be the best place to go and advice on dive centers. Is it possible to do any trips that combine different areas? I would like to see Blue Sharks and other pelagics. Any advice welcome.

Cheers

#2 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

Hi,

We were in Faial last fall, mid/end september I think. They have a couple of dives that are really really spectacular. Princes Alice Banks withe the Mobulas/Mantas and another Bank ( forgotten the name) with the Bluesharks.

These Banks are far off the coast and either no bottom in sight or at 40m or so.It can be currents. The Coastal Reef dives are ok, but not that interesting.

The Islands are in the middle of the Ocean. So, it might not be possible to go out to the top places every day. If, you are unlucky the waves might be too high for a week or so. So, plan enogh time.

Do not plan 2 dives a day! Rent a car drive around, go to the neighbour island, look at the Vulcanoes, do some whale watching, Landscape photography, go for a hike etc etc

Above all stay flexible for the waves to go down. In order to go out to the Banks. The Azores are a fascinating place and I liked it a lot, but you should do a fair bit of research before booking a trip!

You might have the wrong expectations otherwise.

/Erik

/Erik

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#3 os65

os65

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

Also dived Faial a week last September and agree with Erik that the princes Alice Bank dives with the Mobulas were excellent, although the ride there took more than three hours one way in a crowded rib. The mobulas are most likely to be seen during Jul-Sep. Otherwise not so much fish life underwater. We used Diveazores for our dives (www.diveazores.net). Some pictures from Faial can be seen here http://www.flickr.co...878916@N03/sets

Edited by os65, 12 April 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#4 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

We went with Norberto Divers and pre-reserved places in the Catamaran. That is a bit more convieniant!

It was however after a time of large swells. So, it was not the quietest of rides.

Me and my misses, were probably the only guests that did not have to drive the Lorry :unsure:

We saw some whales on the way out as well.

/Erik

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240