• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 FanchGadjo

FanchGadjo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:43 AM

This is amazing ! I like machining pictures too. ;)

#22 TomekP

TomekP

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

Now it looks much better that the plastic model :)

Next time You have to use

http://en.wikipedia....red_net_shaping

so there will be less chips and fluid :) :) :)

Edited by TomekP, 20 January 2014 - 11:43 AM.

#23 T.J.L.

T.J.L.

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

Damn it takes a lot of time to make these toolpaths. I spent again several hours in making the toolpaths for machining just one side of the body. Its partly because I do not have much experience in making double curved toolpaths so I don't know all the tricks and I don't find Mastercam particularly easy to learn. But there are also a lot of variables to consider when making more complex toolpaths. Below is an image of the Mastercam program with the almost ready toolpaths in blue.

Mastercam.jpg

It doesn't help making the toolpaths that everything has to be perfect. If I ruin this part, it will cost me 40 euros in material, and a day in time, which I really wouldn't like to loose. Also, the carbide cutting tools are not exactly cheap and they can break if you run them too deep or too fast or into the table.

Tomorrow is going to be a full machining day again. I hope to get the body ready but I seriously doubt that. I will also need to start machining the port tomorrow or at the latest on Wednesday so I can get both parts to anodization on Thursday..

#24 TomekP

TomekP

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:25 AM

I am pretty sure that You will finish this project with success :) 

Thank you for sharing with details about this procedure, tools, knowledge and experience, now I can realize why the regular housing can cost 2000 Euro.

#25 T.J.L.

T.J.L.

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

Good morning everyone. It's 6 am in here and I just got home after finishing machining the body. I didn't really plan on machining the whole night but that's just how it often goes; you think something takes three hours and six hours later it is still not ready. A pretty long day and night but I think the result is worth it.

body.jpg

#26 FanchGadjo

FanchGadjo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:17 AM

This is looking really good ! A little elbow grease and sandpaper, then it will look

like a pro housing.

Thank you for sharing your development process (schematic, simulation and pictures).

It really is fascinating !

:notworthy:

#27 T.J.L.

T.J.L.

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

You are welcome. I think sharing more than just a couple of pics of the finished product is important especially for those who would like to do something similar. I will write in more detail at a better time but now its late again so a single pic will have to do.

The past few days have been long and I have not gotten enough sleep but I hope and think that now the most difficult parts are almost finished. Today I turned the port which turned out pretty beautiful if I may say so. The surface finish you can get by turning with sharp carbide inserts is pretty amazing. A little polishing and the part is ready for anodization. The port still needs mounting holes which I will probably make tomorrow.

port.jpg

I was planning to get the parts anodized by a professional but due to the tight schedule I might do it myself. Tomorrow I will shop around for DIY anodizing stuff; buckets, battery acid and some dyes. This way I can also anodize the buttons whenever I want to, although there is no guarantee of the quality of the results. My coworkers also take part in the costs and building the setup so that will make my job a bit easier.

Edited by T.J.L., 23 January 2014 - 03:09 PM.

#28 FanchGadjo

FanchGadjo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:59 AM

This is looking good ! I guess making a bayonet system requires higher accuracy

than screws. Good luck on anodising all the parts !

I would like to build a 4 inches dome, but finding the right inexpensive dome is quite complicated.

Edited by FanchGadjo, 24 January 2014 - 09:30 AM.

#29 T.J.L.

T.J.L.

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:18 AM

Yes, I think a bayonet would be much more difficult to manufacture and since I am not planning to be changing the port frequently, the screw mounting is much easier and more robust.

The first tests with anodizing were not very encouraging. I did get the anodization working at least some times but since I do not have  proper dyes I may not get any color to the part. I bought some food and cloth dyes and this far I have tested two of them. Did not work.

4 inch dome would be excellent for such a small housing as this. If someone knows where to get the dome, please tell me.

A quick pic from yesterday. Today, I will sand and polish the body and the port and do some experimenting with the anodization process. Then I'll just need to make the buttons, dials and latch parts. And glue the dome to the port, I am a little nervous about that. If all goes well, I have enough time. If something  goes wrong or does not work immediately, then I will be in a hurry.

kasa.jpg

Edited by T.J.L., 25 January 2014 - 12:20 AM.

#30 FanchGadjo

FanchGadjo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:14 AM

This is looking good, but it is highly reflective...  :good:

Maybe you need a better dye : http://astro.neutral...ising-dye.shtml

Good luck on gluing the dome !

Edited by FanchGadjo, 28 January 2014 - 02:14 AM.

#31 T.J.L.

T.J.L.

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:01 AM

I hope I will sometime have more time to update this thread but now I really don't. Here are a couple of photos from the past few days.

The body after milling.

milled.jpg

Body after about four to five hours of sanding and an hour of polishing.

polished.jpg

And the body and port after having them anodized by the professionals. The surface looks excellent and it only cost me 30 euros.

anodized.jpg

Still have to make the buttons and dials. I still have two days :).

#32 TomekP

TomekP

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:30 PM

Now it looks really nice. 

Is the port will be flat or dome type ??

#33 troporobo

troporobo

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:42 AM

Wow, that looks absolutely fantastic!  I might have been tempted to leave the polished finish, you don't see many housings that looks like custom chrome motorcycle accessories, but I know it wouldn't stay that way for long in salt water.  Great work!

#34 T.J.L.

T.J.L.

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:27 AM

Wow, that looks absolutely fantastic!  I might have been tempted to leave the polished finish, you don't see many housings that looks like custom chrome motorcycle accessories, but I know it wouldn't stay that way for long in salt water.  Great work!

The polished finish looked pretty gorgeous but the only thing I can think of that could preserve it would be lacquer coating. And it probably won't stand any scratches or bumps. Maybe if I would have machined the housing of platinum...

Or probably some stainless steels could withstand the salt water well enough. But then the polishing would take days instead of hours and the machining would be a nightmare.

#35 joez2391

joez2391

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:50 AM

really amazing, love watching the progress on this, the anodized parts look amazing.  looking forward to seeing more!

#36 FanchGadjo

FanchGadjo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:12 AM

It is looking good at every step ! I hope you will make it in time for your trip.

Let us know when the dome is glued.

#37 T.J.L.

T.J.L.

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

Dome glued, latches fitted (somewhat) and about half of the buttons turned. Still have to cut the rods for the buttons and make the dial knobs inside the housing. Plus some drilling etc. I probably won't have time to anodize the buttons and dials or to make the "lens hood" (whatever its called) but I think the housing will be operational tomorrow. Now a few hours of sleep and then back to work. Our flight leaves at 11 pm so I've still got almost a full day :). Not in a hurry or anything... I just hope that everything works as planned.

#38 troporobo

troporobo

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:35 PM

I like your style - just in time delivery!

#39 T.J.L.

T.J.L.

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:30 AM

Sort of almost in time... Spent the whole Thursday machining the buttons before I finally had to leave to the airport. Pretty much every piece of the housing is sort of ready but the housing has not been fully assembled a single time.

Now we are in Hong Kong for the second day. The housing is packed in my backpack and I haven't even unpacked it yet. I hope when I put it all together, everything will work fine. We'll see about that...

#40 the_dragon_no1

the_dragon_no1

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

Nice stuff! Watching ;)

Sent from Tapatalk using Samsung S4.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diy, housing, e-m5, cnc