• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 alien-bob

alien-bob

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 09:25 AM

Can anyone explain this intense red color cast? These two shots were taken sequentially, Aper priority using CP5000, different aperture in the exif for the 2 shots so probably different power on the DS125 strobe. Other than the camera (and consequently strobe) angle nothing else changed. Relatively unimportant but I'm puzzled.
Thanks,
Bob.

#2 alien-bob

alien-bob

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 09:31 AM

Hmm. How do I attach a pic (I tried the attach box and browsed for the file, but nada)? Can't edit the previous post either. Oh well. I'll try attaching it as a URL but if that fails also I'll wait for advise.

#3 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 10:40 AM

Dang,

Looks like Yahoo won't let you link to their pix either. They hate when you do that, because then you don't get to see all those FUN X-10cam ads and stuff...:)

Anyhow, right click on the pic, and cut and paste the URL into another browser.

My guess for the pic is that the white balance is WAY different for the two. After the CCD grabs the pic, it runs it through an image processing algorithm to set white balance. Probably different strobe power affected the two shots differently. Auto white balance, right?

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#4 alien-bob

alien-bob

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 11:23 AM

Dang, James. Right again, auto white balance. I must be taking double doses of my "stupid pills" at the moment. :-) Thanks.

Here is the link to the pic anyway- although I'm hoping to get the pic displayed here in the message and I'm not convinced that just pasting the URL of the pic on yeehahoo will accomplish... but here goes...
http://photos.yahoo....view=t&.hires=t

#5 jack r

jack r

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 04:02 PM

Alein-bob, I went though the 2 photo albums you had on the web and I really, REALLY, enjoyed it. Thank you!! Did you use the nikon 19mm lens and the ike dome port at all for any of those?

James, Are you saying not to use auto white balance? Should we make a custom white balance while at depth?

#6 alien-bob

alien-bob

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 04:20 PM

Jack,

Replied to your other while you were following up here.

No, I don't have the dome port or wideangle lens--my pockets weren't deep enough. In fact, at the moment I'd debating (hypothetically - no spare cash) which will be next, decent arms for the strobe I have, a second (smaller) strobe, or the dome/wide angle.

My interests lean strongly towards the macro stuff, so I think the wide angle will be lower priority for me. It would be nice to get a bit more distance between the camera and subject to make the lighting a little easier, but I don't think the wide angle will do that.

What say we keep further followup in this thread?

Bob.

#7 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2296 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 07:16 PM

Definitely work with your white balance. I set my function button to white balance so I can rapidly go through the diff WBs.

I use the 19 mm and wide angle dome for all my macro shots. I believe that it still gives me the equiv. of 1:1 macro with a 35 mm camera.

If you can set your 5000 to a manual focus mode you will virtualy eliminate shutter lag as a problem if you don't have any images in your buffer.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#8 jack r

jack r

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 07:26 PM

What is images in my buffer mean? I have seen that before but I dont know what it is. I looked in my manual but saw nothing.

I am a newby to digital.

#9 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2296 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 07:35 PM

The camera stores the image you shoot in flash memory until it is written into your storage card. In the 5000 the green lght blinks until the image has been written to your storage card. When the green light stops blinking your buffer is empty. The larger the buffer memory is in your camera the more pics it can take before it has to stop and write the pics to your storage card. No matter how large you memory card you won't increase the size of your buffer. It is built into the camera.

My Website

#10 alien-bob

alien-bob

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 August 2002 - 06:34 AM

Dave,
Could you (would you, pretty please) try to estimate the camera to subject distance (or port to subject distance) at closest focus and highest zoom the camera allows with the yellow "macro" flower with and without the wide angle lens? If the wide angle allows me to back away from the subject a little for the same image size it would be bumped higher up my list.
Thanks,
Bob.

#11 ikelite

ikelite

(In Memoriam)

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 10 August 2002 - 10:43 AM

We are not describing the wide angle lens properly. It allows you to photograph a larger subject without getting farther from it. Moving farther from the subject means photographing through more water which degrades the image. The wider angle lens lets you photograph the same larger subject through less water.

Click here for comparison photos taken with the Inon lens.

ike

#12 NitroLiq

NitroLiq

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 August 2002 - 03:35 PM

Ike,

Since your showing the G2 pics with the Inon lens I figured I'd ask: How difficult is it adding and removing the lens underwater. I read somewhere it's possible.

Pete

#13 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2296 posts

Posted 10 August 2002 - 06:12 PM

alien bob, I estimate the closest focusing dx without the wide angle lens to be a little under 2 in. With the wide angle lens on it seems to focus down to where you can touch the front of the lens dome on the subject. Interestingly with the 19 mm lens and the camera lens zoomed out all the way you get the same roughly the same magnification at that approx 1 1/2 focus dx as you get without the 19mm lens attached.

My Website