Nikon has announced a 17-28mm wide-angle zoom for Z mount cameras. It features a constant aperture of f/2.8, but perhaps more relevant for underwater use, has a minimum focus distance of 0.19m (7.5”). Of course, performance behind a dome port is, as yet, unknown.
Nikon releases the NIKKOR Z 17-28mm f/2.8 ultrawide-angle zoom lens for the Nikon Z mount system
Compact and lightweight for superior portability, with a constant maximum aperture of f/2.8 for a broader range of expression.
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce the release of the NIKKOR Z 17-28mm f/2.8, an ultrawide-angle zoom lens that is compatible with full-frame/FX-format mirrorless cameras for which the Nikon Z mount has been adopted.
The NIKKOR Z 17-28mm f/2.8 is an ultrawide-angle zoom lens that covers the 17- to 28-mm range of focal lengths with a fast constant maximum aperture of f/2.8. This lens not only offers the excellent portability achieved with a total length of approximately 101 mm(1) and a weight of approximately 450 g, but also provides superior optical performance. Adoption of two ED glass, one Super ED glass, and three aspherical lens elements delivers stable resolution throughout the zoom range. The lens responds well to a variety of scenes and subjects for a broader range of expression utilizing the unique perspective afforded by an ultrawide-angle lens, as well as the fast f/2.8 maximum aperture and 0.19-m(2) minimum focus distance that enable dynamic expression to emphasize the primary subject.
In an effort to make the lens easier to use with video recording, the NIKKOR Z 17-28mm f/2.8 is equipped with high-speed AF control that realizes smooth focusing, even with moving subjects, plus a stepping motor (STM) and control ring that achieve even quieter and smoother operation.
The NIKKOR Z 17-28mm f/2.8 offers a fast constant maximum aperture of f/2.8 in a compact and lightweight body, yet is affordable. This ultrawide-angle lens is easy to carry around, both in town and while traveling, allowing users to enjoy expressing themselves through images as intended.
Nikon will continue to pursue a new dimension in optical performance while meeting users’ needs, contributing to the development of imaging culture, with the hope of expanding possibilities for imaging expression.
(1) Distance from the camera’s lens-mount flange. (2) At the 17-mm zoom position.
- Coverage of the ultrawide-angle 17-mm to wide-angle 28-mm range of focal lengths makes this lens the perfect choice for a wide variety of scenes and subjects, including street photography, landscapes, and portraits.
- The fast constant maximum aperture of f/2.8 throughout the zoom range allows for natural bokeh expression and reduces the effects of camera shake when shooting in low-light conditions.
- The compact and lightweight design with a total length of approx. 101 mm and weight of approx. 450 g provides excellent portability.
- Offers the shortest minimum focus distance*1 among full-frame/FX-format NIKKOR Z wide-angle zoom lenses — just 0.19 m, allowing users to get close to their subjects for dynamic expression.
- Provides high-speed AF and supports smooth focusing, even when shooting moving subjects and video.
- Equipped with a stepping motor (STM) for extremely quiet operation and fast response.
- Incorporates a control ring, to which settings such as aperture and exposure compensation can be assigned — realizing quiet, smooth operation even during video recording.
- Support for linear MF drive*2 enables smooth focusing.
- Designed to suppress focus breathing so that changes in the angle of view when focus is adjusted are reduced.
- The length of the lens barrel remains constant when zooming. This makes it easier to maintain balance during shooting, while also making the lens safer to carry.
- Designed with consideration for dust- and drip-resistance*3, and an antifouling coating applied to the front-most lens element.