Panasonic has announced the DC-S5 II and S5 IIX full frame mirrorless cameras. Using the L mount, they both feature on-chip phase detection.
The S5 II will ship in late January, priced at $1999, while the S5 IIX will be available from May.
- 24MP BSI CMOS sensor with on-sensor phase detection
- Up to 30fps e-shutter shooting with C-AF and Raw capture
- 96MP multi-shot high-resolution mode
- 6K 3:2 open-gate video capture up to 30p (4:2:0 10-bit)
- 6K or DCI/UHD 4K from full sensor width up to 30p
- DCI/UHD 4K up to 60p (S35), unlimited record times
- Dual conversion gain sensor with explicit ‘Dual Native ISO’ gain selection
- Cooling fan
- Twin UHS-II card slots
- Optional paid upgrade for Raw video output
Additional features in S5 IIX
- Raw video output
- Video recording to SSD over USB
- All-I compression modes
- Internal ProRes capture
- Wired/wireless IP streaming
The S5 II will be available from the last week of January for a recommended price of $1999, with the S5 IIX shipping in late May. The S5 IIX will command a $200 premium over the less video-centric version.
An optional paid upgrade for the S5 II will add Raw video output, and will cost $200.