RED Digital Cinema has announced the S35 (Vista Vision) version of their V-RAPTOR Digital Cinema camera. It shares the same camera body, physical dimensions, input and output ports, lens mount as the original, but has a 8k 120fps S35 sensor.
The RED S35 V-RAPTOR is available to order now, priced at $19,500. From Jarrod Land on Instagram:
The S35 Raptor just landed. All new 8k 120fps S35 sensor sized at 26.21 mm x 13.82mm to cover even more S35 glass than our traditional RED “bit larger” than s35 format. Comes painted in a special Wildlife Society of Filmmakers “Rhino Grey” version with a portion of sales going to various wildlife charities. Available now for $19.5k either direct or through our premiere dealers.
The RED V-RAPTOR was first announced back in September 2021. The S35 V-RAPTOR “Rhino” camera features an 8K Vista Vision sensor capable of shooting 120fps in 8K, 240fps in 4K, and 480fps in 2K when using the 17:9 mode.
RED is well-known for making product announcements on the REDUser forum or directly on Jarred Land’s Instagram and Facebook accounts. The new S35 V-RAPTOR launch is no different, and here is everything we know so far about the new “RHINO” camera
S35 V-RAPTOR image sensor
Super35 image sensor. This sensor is 26.21 mm x 13.82mm, slightly larger than the standard S35 format.
Technical specs of the newly announced RED S35 V-Raptor.
RED V-Raptor S35 Recording Modes
The S35 V-RAPTOR can record internally onto CFExpress cards in a variety REDCODE RAW HQ/MQ/LQ flavors:
- 120 fps at 8K 17:9 (8192 x 4320). REDCODE HQ, MQ, and LQ at 8K 17:9 (8192 x 4320) up to 60 fps. REDCODE LQ at 8K 17:9 (8192 x 4320) up to 120 fps.
- 150 fps at 8K 2.4:1 (8192 x 3456)
- 140 fps at 7K 17:9 (7168 x 3780)
- 175 fps at 7K 2.4:1 (7168 x 3024)
- 160 fps at 6K 17:9 (6144 x 3240). REDCODE HQ, MQ, and LQ at 6K 17:9 (6144 x 3240) up to 96 fps. REDCODE MQ and LQ at 6K 17:9 (6144 x 3240) up to 160 fps.
- 200 fps at 6K 2.4:1 (6144 x 2592)
- 192 fps at 5K 17:9 (5120 x 2700)
- 240 fps at 5K 2.4:1 (5120 x 2160)
- 240 fps at 4K 17:9 (4096 x 2160). REDCODE HQ, MQ, and LQ at 4K 17:9 (4096 x 2160) up to 240 fps.
- 300 fps at 4K 2.4:1 (4096 x 1728)
- 320 fps at 3K 17:9 (3072 x 1620)
- 400 fps at 3K 2.4:1 (3072 x 1296)
- 480 fps at 2K 17:9 (2048 x 1080). REDCODE HQ, MQ and LQ at 2K 17:9 (2048 x 1080) up to 480 fps
- 600 fps at 2K 2.4:1 (2048 x 864)
There is no word about anamorphic shooting modes yet.
Same camera body
The RED S35 V-RAPTOR comes painted in a special Wildlife Society of Filmmakers “Rhino Grey” version. According to Jarred Land, a portion of sales goes to various wildlife charities.
The camera body, physical dimensions, input and output ports, lens mount, and so on are identical to the original V-RAPTOR.
Price and availability
The S35 V-RAPTOR is available for order now for $19,500, which is $5,000 less than the original V-RAPTOR.