Sign in to follow this  
Mantadance

Similan Islands - Thailand 2008

Hey Wetpixies,

AMAZING 8 months lay behind me. Coming from giving up my very serious office job to working on a Liveaboard in Thailand and Myamar as Instructor & guide...

Also changed from the compact Fuji E900 to an Canon 400D in a Hugyfot housing, WHAT A DIFFERENCE :)

Dancing Cleaner Shrimp

2496757062_301f34809f.jpg

Seacobra

2495930147_32177023b6.jpg

Porcelan Crab

2496758566_c408c1728c.jpg

Amazing Western Rocky - Burma, we had viz of 30 - 35 meters this day

2320474218_a3aeea0ff7.jpg

High Five

2319679701_fe1d5fa2d0.jpg

Baby Whitetip

2496768996_79e781330b.jpg

Barakuda

2496854900_d93454b7de.jpg

Fish-Portrait

2564157480_9ecc388645.jpg

Fabulina Nudibranch

2564159150_6abe8fa5e1.jpg

I hope you enjoy!

If you want to see the whole Thailand/Burma Stream feel free to have a look at the slideshows

Thailand : http://www.flickr.com/photos/patrickneuman...078088267/show/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patrickneuman...086057955/show/

Burma : http://www.flickr.com/photos/patrickneuman...073833494/show/

Thank you for your visiting & comments!

love & respect

Patrick

Great shot of the banded sea snake!

I have been trying to get a similar shot but have not had results as excellent as yours...

Those are super, Patrick. You're doing great with the DSLR.

nice tack sharp photos! yah, you have a new camera, but it's the photographer who got the sharp images.

Hi Patrick, great shots, sharp as a pin.

I also work in Similan and Burma on MV Discovery, if your back again next season let me know which boat you are working on and maybe we can hook up to exchange tips and ideas. Also where all the special critters have moved to.

Spencer

Thanks Arnon, AMV (this means Atem-Minuten-Volumen??? :) ), Will, Jim & Spencer!

Yeah sure, it is the photographer, i know that, but it was kind of weird to look through this little viewfinder instead of the LCD of the compact.

But after a while i got used to it and now i love it!!! Cannot go back to a compact! I think a DSLR is for sure a tool with more possibilities for photography than a Compact...

Spencer, yeah we can do that. I am located at Koh Chang near Ranong, but internet is only available in Ranong itself not on the islands, so maybe its better to exchange mobile numbers.

I am going back to Germany next week for 2 or 3 months, but i ll come back middle November to Thailand after the SanDisk Red Sea Shoutout beginning November. So let s do that then. :D

Did you see the yellow Frogfish at Elephant head this season?

Edited by Mantadance

Great pictures Patrick. Appart from the Hugyfot house and the 400D, what kind of gear do you use?

Appart from the Hugyfot house and the 400D, what kind of gear do you use?

For lenses i use Tokina 10-17 Fisheye for WA, Canon 60mm + Canon 100mm Macro lenses. I tried also a 2x Telekonverter, but this is not working good for me, i am going to get a Woody instead.

Flashes are two Inon Z240, a focus light and thats it..

hi patrick,

nice ones!

so you dindn't like the teleconverter? strange. i am gonna get an x2 tele in addition to my 1,5 now ... if you wanna get rid of yours, you can contact me ... i am also in germany for summer holidays ...

greets, serge

Wonderful shots Patrick. :D

Where will you go next?

How would you rate diving in Burma/Myanmar? I was there last year but it was land based & didn't get an opportunity to check out the diving. Your Flickr pics are wonderful! What area & operator(s) would you recommend?

so you dindn't like the teleconverter? strange.

Hey Serge, it s not i didn t like it, but my camera has problem to focus if i use the 2x converter.

BrianM Posted Jul 23 2008, 08:39 PM

Wonderful shots Patrick.

Where will you go next?

Hey Brian, thank you!

Yesterday i arrived back to Germany. I will stay in Germany for maybe 2-3 months. In November i am going to meet up my brother Yonatan in Eilat, Israel and participate at the SanDisk RedSea Shoutout.

After that we are going to work another Season in Thailand to dive Similan Islands, Westcoast and of course Myamar/Burma...

That the plan so far...

MatthewAddison Posted Yesterday, 01:30 AM

How would you rate diving in Burma/Myanmar? I was there last year but it was land based & didn't get an opportunity to check out the diving. Your Flickr pics are wonderful! What area & operator(s) would you recommend?

Hey Matthew,

I dived Burma/Myamar first time last season and i was totally flashed by the healthiness and the populations of the places. In general Burma has still problems with dynamit fishing, but the places the divers go are protected by the Goverment.

The Dive-spots are HUGE, the visability is a bit less than the similan Islands i would say the four trips i did in average 10-15 meters. But we also had places with 5 m vis. and also places with 40 m, so its also a bit of luck.

Its a bit more advanced diving in comparism with Similan, sometimes strong currents and the Spots are a bit deeper also.

If you go on a Liveaboard trip to Burma you will do for sure some discovery diving as the potential of the region and the number of dive-spots is AMAZING. We (unfortunatly not I) had Mantas & Whalesharks also there.

If you ask for a operator i would recommend the boat i work on. If you need further info contact me by PM.

Cheers

Patrick

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements