trimix18/45

California reccommended sites

Hi,

Does anyone have recommendation regarding dive sites/operators around Huntigton Beach / Newport Beach in California.

I'm from canada and will have to travel for a few days for work and I wanted to try a few dives around to shoot images.

Are renoun kelp forest around ?

Thanks in advance,

Dominique

When are you here? Are you looking to shore dive or hop on a boat?

Next day or two will not be great for shore dives, due to the rain, but later in the week there might be some good chances.

Plenty of kelp to go around. :lol:

When are you here? Are you looking to shore dive or hop on a boat?

Next day or two will not be great for shore dives, due to the rain, but later in the week there might be some good chances.

Plenty of kelp to go around. :lol:

I'm not yet there. I'm planning for a trip that should occur in January.

January is Winter, so it could be cold. Of course, this is SoCal, so it could also be 80*F. (I'd plan for cold, though) Plan for water temps in the low 50s. It being winter, of course, there can be no specific promises about conditions, but chances are decent it'll be good unless a storm comes through.

Lots of good shore diving with kelp in Malibu, farther to the North along the coast, but there's also kelp diving around Palos Verdes, which is close, but you'll need a boat to get there and it's not a regular charter destination (unless you charter a small boat just for you).

http://www.ecodivecenter.com/content/south...each-dive-sites

HB is right between two good diving areas. Laguna offers more protected conditions and easier diving, but it's not exactly a dense kelp forest. There's a decent amount of kelp at the Old Marineland site (see map above), but it's somewhat advanced, from an entry and exit standpoint, especially if you're not used to surf entries. It's a notorious site for pounding and injuring even those who dive it regularly, so make sure you hook up with a local.

Best guaranteed kelp diving from HB is either via boat or up North to Malibu (very easy shore diving, but a bit of a drive from HB).

Malibu and the Laguna sites both offer easy conditions and shallow dives, but Malibu has more kelp by far.

A boat to Catalina Island (the island you see offshore in the map) can offer great kelp diving as well, of course. Plenty of good boats that run out to Catalina regularly. Limited mid-week availability during the Winter, however, but lots of options on weekends.

Edited by CompuDude

Thanks ! I will for sure have a look at the link you post.

Temperature is not an issue for me, I'm used to dive in water down to 35F... altough I prefer warm water ;-)

Thanks,

Dominique,

I think your best bet is to take a boat to Catalina Island out of san pedro or long beach, not too far from Huntington Beach. Beach diving conditions can be iffy and/or kelp forest access difficult. Us locals don't mind because we can always go back another day. BTW, I hope you enjoy the beach dive site writeups, yours truly put a lot of work into creating them :)

Edited by sgietler

I'd do a charter dive boat. Not familiar with the ones out of Orange county or LA.

They proobaly can help you with your rental gear as well.

Expect water temperatures that may be below 60. So pack your 7 ml suit.

Dominique, give me a call. We have several charters for January on the local boats. Im in Newport Beach. What days in January will you be out here?

Sponsors

Advertisements