edpdiver

free swimming critter in the caribbean

I saw this critter in Grand Cayman. It was about 10 cm across, and was swimming freely. I am not sure about the depth. I think it was about 15m or so, but I am not sure about it. It looks a little like a crinoid, but I was not aware that there were swimming crinoids in the Caribbean. It also did not match photos I have seen of swimming crinoids. Any thoughts?

4930898023_f0ffe9c9e7_z.jpg

Edited by edpdiver

Looks like a feather-star, so it is a feather-star. :-)

Cheers

Michael

Edited by M.Henke

I saw this critter in Grand Cayman. It was about 10 cm across, and was swimming freely. I am not sure about the depth. I think it was about 15m or so, but I am not sure about it. It looks a little like a crinoid, but I was not aware that there were swimming crinoids in the Caribbean. It also did match photos I have seen of swimming crinoids. Any thoughts?

Great shot (I edited the post to embed the image for you) Wasn't showing up for some reason....

Yep, looks like a juvenile Crinoid aka feather star. They are BEAUTIFUL when they swim, aren't they?

Cheers

James

Yep, looks like a juvenile Crinoid aka feather star. They are BEAUTIFUL when they swim, aren't they?

Cheers

James

Interesting, I had not thought about it being a juvenile. Yes, it was so graceful as it swam. - Erwin

Sponsors

Advertisements