Will_Clark

Z240 o-rings want to pop out when screwing the cover back down

I'm new to using Inon 240s. When I change the batteries and come to screw the cover back down, the o-rings always seem to want to pop out a bit in a curl. I've already changed 2 in 3 weeks for fear they are getting stretched... does this happen with yours? Any hints?

Be sure to use the right kind of grease, no silicone grease for silicone o-rings!!! They become soft otherwise.

I replaced them by normal black rubber NBR 70° o-rings with the same measurements and have no problems any more.

Silicone o-rings normally are not used for dynamic applications.

I use one INON D2000 from 2007 and 2 brand new Z240 strobes and never had this problem.

You may should grease the o-ring SLIGHTLY with the included INON o-ring grease.

You will feel the need of grease when turning the cap get hard, with some grease screwing the cap down

should be a smooth operation with slight torque.

Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer

I'm new to using Inon 240s. When I change the batteries and come to screw the cover back down, the o-rings always seem to want to pop out a bit in a curl. I've already changed 2 in 3 weeks for fear they are getting stretched... does this happen with yours? Any hints?

I had same problem, was traced back to not using INON o-ring grease.

I replaced them by normal black rubber NBR 70° o-rings with the same measurements...

where did you find?

The Inon O-rings do need regular re-greasing, also when screwing cap on do so slowly to reduce friction.

If in between re-greasing a little spit works just as well to.

Cheers,

Jim.

We use S & S blue top grease and lightly grease the ring and also add a few small daubs to the inside of the plastic cap just before screwing down. Be careful not to over grease!

Curious - I had been using the silicon grease that came with my Zen minidome, but moved to the Inon stuff soon after. My workaround is to do it carefully and slowly, constantly checking for bulging.

I don't like it though, it seems insecure and prone for a mistake one day.

Thanks to all repliers.

It's not the best system for sure. I also lightly grease the inside of the cap where it meets the o ring. After years of using these strobes, one flooded the battery compartment, and I'm sure it was due to the o ring not properly seated. Good news is, after rinsing with rubbing alcohol and light scrubbing with steel wool, it still works.

Be sure to use the right kind of grease, no silicone grease for silicone o-rings!!! They become soft otherwise.

I replaced them by normal black rubber NBR 70° o-rings with the same measurements and have no problems any more.

Silicone o-rings normally are not used for dynamic applications.

owfotograaf,

Did you happen to get the part number? or correct dimentions?

Thanks

Edited by FLAFROG

I have over 600 dives on my Z 240's and I am still using the original yellow o-rings.

I really like the battery compartment sealing system, you can see the o-ring as you tighten down the cap so you know if they are pinched or bound up.

I have not had any problems with my o-rings stretching or leaking (knock on wood). I started using the Inon grease, but got tired of using different greases for all the different o-rings. My red ones used this grease, my blue ones used that grease, my black ones used another silicone grease, etc. So I did a little research and switched to one grease. I use Tribolube 71, which is very similar to Christolube 111, now for all my o-rings and have not had any problems with stretching secondary to absorption of the lube into the o-ring material.

After cleaning my o-rings, I put some Tribolube on a q-tip (cotton wool bud) and run it at around the cap and the o-ring grove leaving a very light coat of lube, lube the o-ring and assemble. I clean and lube the Inon o-rings once before a dive trip and I am good to go for the entire trip. The only time I reclean and lube the o-rings on a trip if I see dirt when I change batteries. I have not had problems with the o-rings getting bound up or trying to extrude.

If your o-rings are swelling, they are absorbing the lube. I have found that especially red and yellow colored o-rings will swell if you don't stick with the manufacture's proprietary lube or use a inert lube like Tribolube.

Edited by eyu

After cleaning my o-rings, I put some Tribolube on a q-tip (cotton wool bud) and run it at around the cap and the o-ring grove leaving a very light coat of lube

Rather than cotton buds, I use make up applicators (I sent the girlfriend to buy them). They are foam buds, so no loose fibres to get under o-rings etc. A pack of 10 was something like £2 and they last forever.

Rather than cotton buds, I use make up applicators (I sent the girlfriend to buy them). They are foam buds, so no loose fibres to get under o-rings etc. A pack of 10 was something like £2 and they last forever.

Come on Sean, man up and go get your own makeup applicators. :) Agree they work great for cleaning oring grooves.

Cheers,

Steve

I agree, but my wife will not buy them for me :)

I believe I have been over-greasing the o-ring because it was so stiff to screw on. Stiff is better than bulge (said the actress to the bishop) Sorry.

Come on Sean, man up and go get your own makeup applicators. :) Agree they work great for cleaning oring grooves.

Cheers,

Steve

You should have seen the look I got when I asked the pharmacist for a bumper pack of condom catheters and their biggest pot of KY jelly :D

It was for drysuit diving - honest!!

You should have seen the look I got when I asked the pharmacist for a bumper pack of condom catheters and their biggest pot of KY jelly :)

It was for drysuit diving - honest!!

Getting a bit OT,

not as strange look as when the navy exchange cashier give us when a group of us would stock up on condom's to be used to protect our fuse lighters used in demolitions exercises or or when the same group bought the XXL panty hose to protect ourselves from leeches while wading in swamps..

I believe I have been over-greasing the o-ring because it was so stiff to screw on. Stiff is better than bulge (said the actress to the bishop) Sorry.

Have your o-ring swelled, thus causing a tight fit when screwing on the cap??

Screwing on the cap need some force, how stiff stiff is is a personal matter, but in any case, when the o-ring is dry,

to scew on the cap will be really stiff.

I absolutely don't think that the o-rings where overgreased to become stiff to screw on, they may got swollen due the use of

unproper grease for them.

In any case, rembember that o-rings should be slightly greased just enough to become shiny without

any traces of exycess grease. Best way (my personal opinion) is to dip carefully the index finger in the grease pot,

smear a small amount between index finger and thumb and pass the o-ring in between.

Chris

Yeah...

... put the cap on carefully and make sure that the o-rings are lightly greased with a silicone-compatible grease! It happens to me once in a while, but hasn't damaged the o-rings in four or five years of regular use.

Tim

:)

There is no reason to use any o-ring other than buna/neoprene (the black ones) for our underwater applications. The colored ones just cause all these grease issues. like different grease for different colored o-rings. and do not provide a better seal. There is not a good engineering reason for complicating this issue. Change all your o-rings to buna & use a good quality silicone grease. One grease for everything. Don't make life more complicated than necessary.

If you think you must use silicone o-rings (the orange/red ones) for some reason, DO NOT grease them. Spit works just fine as a lubricant.

And don't play with your o-rings unless required. Depending on water conditions you could go for days without touching them.

Edited by jcclink

Light coloured o-rings make it much easier to see grit and dirt on them, rather than black on black on black;)

Edited by londonsean69

Light coloured o-rings make it much easier to see grit and dirt on them, rather than black on black on black;)

Agreed, which I'm sure is why Inon use them in combination with the transparent cap.

Cheers,

Jim.

Sponsors

Advertisements