echeng

Ultimate Indonesia 2011 official trip thread

Hello, everyone. We've just arrived back in Bali after spending 25 days aboard the Damai II. We left port out of Maumere on October 26 and spent half our time in and around Alor, and half our time in Komodo. 87 dives later, our group of 9 probably has one of the most incredible—and diverse—collections of underwater pictures ever taken on a single trip! I have a long slideshow that I will post as soon as I arrive at a connection that can handle a multiple-gigabyte upload. Until then, the trip guests will likely be posting pictures here on this thread. Enjoy!

echeng111031_185019.jpg

echeng111101_184218.jpg

echeng111103_184903.jpg

echeng111103_191756.jpg

echeng111104_084316.jpg

echeng111105_192449.jpg

echeng111108_112852.jpg

echeng111111_154045.jpg

echeng111113_184448.jpg

echeng111117_154336.jpg

Also, Julie has posted about a really interesting nudi in the critter forum (found at Hot Rocks in Sangeang):

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...mp;#entry295425

Great stuff; looks like you found the same Phycocaris species of shrimp that Serge did at Lembeh. (the green one)

Cheers,

Marli

Holy cow the skeleton shrimp are bigger than the frogfish!! :)

Is that a parasite inside the yellow frogfish's mouth??

Most of these shots are macro to supermacro—the guides, Jhoe and Agus, were finding absolutely tiny things for us (something most of our group loved).

The frogfish tried to eat that thing floating in front of its mouth (and, the floating eggs), but the little guy still exists in the next frame, so I assume that it was rejected as food. :)

Jhoe is good eh? He is an ex NAD guy :)

And now he works for you haha...

nope, D2, i am on D1 :)

Here's a few of mine. Some more when Im home.

COR201110282426-M.jpg

COR201110282543-M.jpg

COR201111013525-M.jpg

COR201111023819-XL.jpg

COR201111034105-XL.jpg

COR201111095705-M.jpg

COR201111065102E-M.jpg

where did you get the dragonets in the last pic?

Julie and I did find some stuff that Jhoe had never seen/found before. Of course, once we showed him, he found them repeatedly :) He's a very good spotter.

Maumere harbor. Where else? :D Although we didnt find the unidentified ones we photographed there 2 years ago.

Jhoe is good eh? He is an ex NAD guy :)

He is a superb spotter! Made me cross-eyed on more than one dive finding stuff so small I simply couldn't see it, much less identify it as some kind of animal.

I would really love to dive the Maumere harbor for a few days, but there were too many boats on the dock and an Indonesian Navy ship to dive much more than in front of the fish market. :D

Everyone seems to have left today, but I have an extra day here to work on pics and add to the thread. It was an absolutely fantastic trip! The new Damai boat is ridiculously spacious and luxurious - my single cabin was approx 12' x 18' and I could practically lie down in the shower under the 8" "rain" shower head. The boat's new, so we did have some mechanical problems - we lost a/c for a couple days necessitating a change in our diving itinerary and some cabin lights would occasionally go disco when they worked on the generators. All of which will no doubt be ironed out in time. Mostly, it was almost a month of great diving on a great boat with a great crew, great food and most of all, great company!

Lots of milestones for me on this trip: First time shooting supermacro - the guides were AMAZING, finding stuff I could barely see with my eyes. I had to look through the viewfinder to see what they were pointing out! First time seeing lots and lots of the critters, like boxer crabs, the amphipods (fleas!), and esp the well over 100 different nudi's. First time using Lightroom. And I passed 1000 dives while there :)

So here are a few more from the trip (in addition to Eric's forthcoming slideshow extravaganza)

post-14526-1321861841.jpg

We saw 18 (yes, 18!) different Rhinopias (Rhinopiai?) around Alor

post-14526-1321861862.jpg

post-14526-1321861879.jpg

A couple of the aforementioned 100+ nudi's - you'll have to watch the slideshow to see the rest!

post-14526-1321861900.jpg

One of the many "undescribed" critters we saw

post-14526-1321861938.jpg

We dubbed these amphipods fleas - they're about that big (BTW, pic is barely cropped :D )

post-14526-1321862993.jpg

Just in case you thought it was all macro :D

Thanks to all who made the trip a once-in-a-lifetime experience, the Damai crew, guides, our rock-and-roll Cruise Director, Garry Bevan and his signature maneuver (again, you'll have to watch the slide show) and especially to our illustrious trip leader!

Phil

the navy has always stopped me from diving in Maumere harbour.. one of my guides got arrested once hahaha... (when he worked on another boat) The navy guys are kinda touchy about it. So you guys are lucky to have dove there at all :D

Botak: nice collection :D

Did anyone convince Gaza to cut his hair? :)

the navy has always stopped me from diving in Maumere harbour.. one of my guides got arrested once hahaha... (when he worked on another boat) The navy guys are kinda touchy about it. So you guys are lucky to have dove there at all :D

Botak: nice collection :D

Did anyone convince Gaza to cut his hair? :)

I almost cut it, but then I couldn't have named the nudi I found on the last the day the Hairy Garry. It does resemble him, no? So, I'm glad I didn't give it the chop.

JME201111187829-M.jpg

We found lots of tiny frogfish, most of them on 1 dive site, in a small area. Julie started the frenzy with that tiny clown frogfish :) Here's another tiny one.

COR201111044439-M.jpg

And some cool behavior..

COR201111136740-M.jpg

Sounds like an absolutely mind-blowing trip!

Phil - 18 Rhinopia - WOW! Great shot of the "flea" btw.

Can't wait to see more.

Steve

I almost cut it, but then I couldn't have named the nudi I found on the last the day the Hairy Garry. It does resemble him, no? So, I'm glad I didn't give it the chop.

JME201111187829-M.jpg

haha, like twins! :)

You guys had too much fun without me!

You guys had too much fun without me!

Beangabang was AWESOME Tony....where were you???? :)

I only did the second half of the trip, which provided plenty of opportunities for wide angle and macro to keep everyone smiling.

The Damai 2 provided a truly unique experience of awesome diving, luxury accommodations, and tasty food with an exceptionally accommodating crew and cruise director to make it all happen.

Here are few pics from the Komodo portion of the trip (with still a ridiculous amount of images left to edit)...

post-1645-1321984438.jpg

post-1645-1321984464.jpg

post-1645-1321984478.jpg

post-1645-1321984493.jpg

post-1645-1321984519.jpg

post-1645-1321984545.jpg

post-1645-1321984600.jpg

Slideshow. Watch full screen for best results. :)

[vimeohd]32494028[/vimeohd]

What awesome finds. Unbelievable someone can find some of those critters.

Looks like a great trip and images by all.

Todd

Sponsors

Advertisements