Hi, I have just bought a Canon HF G10. When I opened it I found it is a NTSC model With an American power supply. The shop said it will work fine here in the UK. I know I can get a adaptor for the power supply and it is multi voltage, but what about frame rates etc. of the camcorder? Any problems expected? Should I try and get my money back? Any advice please. Alan

Hi, I have just bought a Canon HF G10. When I opened it I found it is a NTSC model With an American power supply. The shop said it will work fine here in the UK. I know I can get a adaptor for the power supply and it is multi voltage, but what about frame rates etc. of the camcorder? Any problems expected? Should I try and get my money back? Any advice please. Alan

Since you are in PAL land you should have been sold a PAL camera. I would certainly try to get it exchanged.

If you are stuck with it how much of an issue it will be depends on how you intend using it. If it's simply for your own recording and playback, no problem...especially for underwater since sound sync in not an issue. Also, if simply printing from the NLE timeline to Bluray it won't be a problem since there is no PAL progressive standard in the Bluray specs.

Things can get a little messy if you intend to convert from NTSC to PAL. Depends on variables such as frame rates, audio and acquisition characteristics (interlaced, PsF or Progressive), pulldown, etc conversion can get quite technical. All good NLE's can do basic conversion/conforming automatically now so "simple" mixing with other PAL footage during editing, if necessary, won't be a problem...at least for home use.

More than likely, as the saying goes, if you need to ask in the first place it probably won't be a major issue for you, even if you are stuck with the NTSC camera. :)

Depends on what you will be using it for. If you are shooting for DVD/BD, shoot in 24p, all newer DVD/BD players have 24p mode worldwide. You will just need to flag the file as 24p PAL or NTSC, and your program will do the rest. You can edit easily on any NLE in either. If you shoot for internet, then 30p(29.97fps) isn't a problem either. Now if your target audience has an older DVD player with a CRT TV, and you have to make a 720x576 25p DVD, then you are going to have to jump more hoops than the savings you got from buying US models.

The bottom line would be if you purchased it as a PAL camera then you should have a PAL camera, if it was cheap and they told you it was NTSC fine. As above if you are only going to shoot and upload to the web or blu ray then fine but if you are going to do DVD's then there will be additional conversions. The camera isn't switchable is it?

NTSC DVDs and Blu-rays will play on the vast majority of players/TVs worldwide. But PAL DVDs will generally only play correctly on players/TVs in PAL countries (although Blu-ray compatibility may have improved with recent HD players/TVs). If you ever wish to supply DVDs (or footage) to people in NTSC countries (USA, Japan etc.) as well as PAL countries then actually NTSC is what you want, otherwise you would have to convert PAL>NTSC.

Even though I spend nearly all my time in PAL countries, I regret not switching over to NTSC cameras in 2002/2003 once I stopped making VHS cassettes and started making DVDs. I have had to manufacture and stock both PAL and NTSC versions of my DVDs until recently, when new technologies enabled me to finally make satisfactory PAL > NTSC conversions so I can stock just NTSC. Would never have had that problem if I'd shot everything in NTSC.

But if you are sure you only ever want to show/sell your stuff in PAL countries then try and get your camera exchanged.

Edited by Nick Hope

The camera is not switchable. I did intend to use the camera for underwater use in my L&M housing, and use my sony hd camera ( PAL ) for surface shots. Edit with Avid studio and output to DVD and blueray.

Alan

If you're mixing with shots from another PAL-only camera, or existing PAL footage, then you really need to get it changed to PAL.

The company has agreed to a refund. Now I wait with baited breath for it to materialize. Thanks all for your help.

Alan.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements