buddy

Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 on full frame

A least here in Italy the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm 1:4G ED is very popular on the D800 as this lens is tack sharp and
slightly cheaper than the professional lens Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF and if the lower f/stop of 4,0 instead of 2,8 is a issue is a personal belief

I am using the Sigma 15mm as WA lens for wide angle, but the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm 1:4G ED lens is on the top of my shopping list.

One of Italy's best underwater photographer is using the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm 1:4G ED in a Subal housing with excellent results, but

a zoom lens under water is always difficult to handle for a dome.

Chris

Ive been using the 16-35mm zoom in a D800 Aquatica housing with an 8 inch dome port and am quite pleased with the corner to corner performance. The wide angle shots on my website www.ericpeterblackimages-uw.com were all made with this lens. I do bump up the ISO to deal with the dimmer conditions when they are present and need to be dealt with but again, I am quite pleased with the results I get from ISO 400-640 on this particular camera with that lens. I have the 14-24 but have not yet used it underwater due to the older dome port I use which doesn't have a wide enough rear access to handle the lens fitting through it. Id love to try it out, just not too sure I want to invest in yet another port for something that might be soft around the edges.

3 recent examples for the Nikon 16-35mm, Subal 9 inch Dome port (DP-230/4), 90mm extension ring (as recommended by Subal), no close focus diopter (Subal recommends a +2), Nikon D4.

All with ISO 100, f11, 1/160s - 1/250s, at 16mm zoom level.

My preliminary conclusion: the corner to corner sharpness is better than with the 8inch dome port, but still is not at 100%. Maybe it needs an even smaller aperture or a different extension ring or the +2-diopter. On some lens test this lens is supposed to perform better at 16mm than at 35mm.

Other opinions?

post-1726-0-20695700-1378108438_thumb.jpg

post-1726-0-29872200-1378108484_thumb.jpg

post-1726-0-44170300-1378108505_thumb.jpg

Just realized there is a parallel discussion on the Nikkor 14-24 f2.8. Well after years of tinkering I think I have made a port that could make good this superb rectilinear wide zoom underwater.

here is a sample at 14mm end f5.6. Reduced res for forum and unsharp mask and no other modification. Let me know what you think?

post-595-0-06796800-1378242513_thumb.jpg

Here is a link to the video forum. I originally intended to use this lens for large sensor videocameras. I shoot digital stills too.

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=51246

Great shot Loftus. I don't see anything wrong with her.....er...it...the shot I mean. Corners? I wasn't looking in the corners.

Also very nice 14-24mm shot Alex! I shoot the 14-24mm topside as my D600 does not have a housing and so I'm still using a D70. Topside its excellent. My results are consistent with the reviews, the shrpest I have seen even in the corners. According to the reviews including DXOmark, the corners topside on the 14-24mm are supposed to be sharper than the 16-35. Topside, the wide end of the 14-24mm is unbeatable for bringing the viewer into the frame. I've had zero troubles using it without a protective filter even with the bulbous dome. Just be careful and don't be afraid use it like a tool not a jewel.

I think the issue Alex is referring to is performance behind a dome. AFAIK no one has really figured out yet the best formula for this lens behind a dome. That combined with the inability to use filters gives the edge underwater to the 16-35mm.

I plan to sell my 11-16mm and 10.5mm and buy the 16-35mm to use underwater with the D600 and topside with a polarizer. But for now, I'm still enjoying the D70. I picked up 2 barely used D70s bodies for $100 each and they are great in my D70 housing (my D70 is very worn out).

Sponsors

Advertisements