Sign in to follow this  
albert kok

What can WIFI do for the UW Photographer?

Some new SLR camera's have built in WIFI, combined with NFC (Near Field Communication). I tried it out with the Nikon D7200 connected with a Nexus (Android) tablet. It seems to work fine on land. You can trigger your camera with your tablet via remote control, and look at the screen of your tablet for the result. Also, you can inspect the content of your SD card and then dowload it to your tablet. That could be an advantage when the camera is still in your housing and you dont want to remove the card. But then you would still depend on a WIFI network. That may not always be available on your diving trip, like on a live aboard.Can anyone think of a useful application of this WIFI option?

Edited by albert kok

With the canon 70d, I can browse the pictures using the app while the camera is still in its housing. There is a direct wifi connection. For a laptop you need something like virtual router (a free program) to circumvent the requirement for a wifi network. It does consume some battery power and if you want to download Raw it is pretty slow.

• Like 1

a) transfer the pictures without opening the housing
b) remote use of the camera using a phone or tablet in a waterproof housing and not from too far (i have no idea how far wifi signal will go under water.

Panasonic and Canon have interesting software to command their GX1 MKII or the Lumix LX100 (at least this ones as i have7had them)

Main problem with a tablet/phone is the touchscreen inside a housing, a tablet/phone with a pen may work as long the front glass is not very thick and distant from the touchscreen and the pen is watertight.

Chris

As above, its handy for me with the 70D as i don't need to break open the housing inbetween dives or often after a days diving.

The battery gets me hundreds of shots without a charge so thats often a few days worth. Once in the housing and sealed and dived id rather not risking making it leak by reassembling if i can avoid it.

Obviously the wifi is very slow when transferring RAW files so something to be aware of.

Yes I suppose the RAW files could present a problem. What about NFC? This gadget works by radio frequency identification, So you wont need the Internet. But the device (e.g. tablet) should be very close to the camera in its housing. Not sure about its speed and capacity. But in principle it looks promising.

Edited by albert kok

For christmas, we get the children underwater in the pool. With wifi connexion we were able to

do a "live" gallery on a TV screen. Of course, you need to surface regularly.

I use wifi (Canon 550D, eyefi card) in my Hugyfot housing (aluminum) to preview jpg between dives.

As an underwater fashion photographer - it's a great feature. The creative director and team can be looking at real time images from the shoot without opening the housing.

I tried an eyefi 16gb pro card in a d7100 with laptop on the boat. It was pretty good at connecting as an adhoc network when I got back onto the boat, and ok for jpg but raw took forever to transfer. The card read/write speed also wasn't great. On balance I went back to the minor inconvenience of pulling the camera/card but getting better transfer speeds from hard wired connection. Have put the eyefi into one of the point and shoots and it's good for that.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements