Sign in to follow this  
hchoat

Inon Z220 strobe/ L&M Tetra Housing

HELP! I'm new to UW photo, and looking for strobes for my Tetra 5050 housing. I shoot primarily wide angle (wrecks). Sea and Sea is out of the question, as a need a depth rating greater than 200'. I like the size of the Inon Z220 vs. the Ikelite 400 (as well as the price!), but I keep getting conflicting answers on compatibility and features that work with the the Tetra housing. Is anyone out there using this setup?

Thanks!

Hi hchoat,

I'm currently using two Z220s with my 5050 Tetra housing and they work fine. I'd used YS90's as well for a while with no problem. Didn't realize there was a depth rating for the Sea& Sea's.

What was it that you were told wouldn't work?

Rand

Rand, so the Tetra ROC works both in TTL and Manual with the Z220s?

Hi ReyeR,

Yes, quite well in fact. I keep being brought up calling it "TTL" as the L&M method is not considered true TTL. I've gotten some great exposures using it on blindingly white Plumose anemones. So, what ever you want to call it, it works.

I'd say the Z220s are a bit brighter and the color is warmer in the final image.

FWIW

Rand

Thanks Rand. For the purists let's call it 'mimic TTL' :roll: :D . Who cares, as long as it works, and works well!

Hi ReyeR,

Yes, quite well in fact. I keep being brought up calling it "TTL" as the L&M method is not considered true TTL. I've gotten some great exposures using it on blindingly white Plumose anemones. So, what ever you want to call it, it works.

I'd say the Z220s are a bit brighter and the color is warmer in the final image.

FWIW

Rand

Hi Rand,

Just want to clarify...

Are you able to activate the modeling light and laser beam for Z200S using the L&M housing?

Hi Goondo,

The Z220s model doesn't have the modeling light/laser function. So No. And the Z220 model which does, can't be activated with the Tetra 5050.

Rand

Rand, one more question:

When you're programming the ROC which strobe profile do you use for the Z220s?

Thanks.

Hi ReyeR,

After some discussions with Ryan and trials, I ended up leaving it on the same setting as recommended for the YS90DX.

I'm going to miss the ROC system when I get my D70 kitted up. :D

Rand

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements