Sign in to follow this  
Nicool

float arms and getting your gear neutral

Hi there,

I am writing in regards to getting underwater photography gear neutral underwater.

After a recent housing change i find my current set of arms and arms accessories unadequate, and before i order anything else, i'd like to give all this a decent thought, and hear some advice from others.

I started shooting in 2008 with regular ULCS strobe arms (2x 8" and 2x4"), which i completed with 4x large Stix floats and 4x jumbo Stix floats.

My feedback on this setup: obviously getting closer to housing neutrality made my whole shooting experience much better. Only painpoint was that those Stix floats take a lot of time to dry, but that's minor.

Moving to another housing in 2013 (NA-EM5 + 45 degrees Nauticam viewvinder + subsee +10 diopter), these weren't sufficient anymore, so i put the Stix floats aside, and replaced the 2x 8" ULCS arms by 2x Nauticam carbon fiber float arms (200mm x 60mm).

My feedback on this setup: benefits were getting the right amount of buoyancy & arms drying easily, but i wasn't totally satisfied as i felt strobe arms manipulation to be trickier than with the Stix floats: i had to screw the clamps very tight to avoid the float arms from going up, and then strobe repositioning got unpractical. Also, i must say my gear wasn't symetric: i had a flexitray left handle, but no right handle (handstrap), meaning the right arm was closer to the optical axis than the left one. I believe this contributed to the un-practicality.

Now (2016) i am moving to a Nauticam DSLR housing (NA-D300s), complemented by my 45 degrees viewfinder.

Photo here:

post-22194-0-43090200-1459112590_thumb.jpg

When shooting with 60mm macro + focus light, i don't have adequate equipment to make my rig neutral:

-my 2008 setup with Stix floats doesn't provide sufficient buoyancy, but i felt it provided great comfort in strobes repositioning. I tested it yesterday. Here's how it looks like one one arm:

post-22194-0-47705300-1459112597_thumb.jpg

-my 2013 nauticam float arms make the housing (too much) positive

One idea i have is to buy 4 extra jumbo Stix floats, and add them to my ULCS strobe arms (2x 8" and 2x4"), replacing some of the large floats possibly. I tested (on land) that i could squeeze 4 jumbo Stix floats on a 8" ULCS arm + 1 jumbo & 1 large Stix floats on the adjacent 4" ULCS arms, and this would bring extra buoyancy, hopefully enough! Here's how it would look like on one arm:

post-22194-0-14067300-1459112604_thumb.jpg

Thinking/questions:

Have any of you got the same feeling that very large float arms (like my 200mm x 60mm Nauticam carbon float arms) make strobes re-positioning too cumbersome, because they are just too buoyant?

Would i workaround this problem and get a more user-friendly gear by spreading lots of Stix floats over the 4 arms sections?

Any other solution(s) to offset the weight of a large DSLR rig while keeping strobe arms easy to re-position?

thanks!!

Nicolas

I put my large cf float arms closest to the camera....no problem with them "floating away!" The extra long clamps in between the arm sections help too, and make the rig easier to collapse for carrying.

I put my large cf float arms closest to the camera....no problem with them "floating away!" The extra long clamps in between the arm sections help too, and make the rig easier to collapse for carrying.

Thanks Tursiops that's good advice!

My "inner" floqt arms being 4" only i might be too short, but any case the extra long clamps could definitely help when needing to fold arms, like for macro shooting.

How long are your inner arms?

Would you have a photo of your gear?

Which brand/model for the extra long clamps?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

8-inch arms, all of them, all Nauticam. Also the long clamps are Nauticam.

Thanks!

My rig setup curently use jumbo stix floats, 3 on each 8in nauticam arm x4.

Total 12 jumbo stix floats (3 full set)

Gonna try this new setup this coming weekend. ;)

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements