Sign in to follow this  
K.Tulbure

Potentially a new Sony A6000 setup - macro capabilities? FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Lens opinions?

Hey all, I am brand new to this forum and joined to get some new gear advice initially and hopefully to contribute some pics and I.D skills! I am going on my honeymoon to Mexico this Christmas and I would like to get myself a new mirrorless setup for easy carriage. I dont have a huge budget but I would like to get myself a decent setup that I wont have to upgrade for a while, I have £2700 at the moment for it and was hoping to get some macro and wide angle gear but I am willing to just go for macro just now to secure the better gear. I have been reading around a lot and although the 4/3 thirds systems seem to be very popular with the olypus OMD series coming up repeatedly, I think I would prefer a Sony a6000 setup. It seems to me that for the cost you get a way better sensor which for me trumps things like view finder or built in image stabilization. I would like to sell my terrestrial SLR system and have this setup used for everything and as I am into my wildlife photography, the auto focus system in very appealing to me.

I have looked at the port chart for the Ikelite housing and it seems as though I should be able to use nice Canon 60mm 2.8 macro lens with the Metabones adapter. However on the metabones adapter page it does not list the 60mm as being compatible. I have read in forums that people have had that setup with focus difficulties.

I am just wondering if someone could please pint me in the right direction to get official statement saying that I could get these to work together before I go buying them, then maybe if anyone has any opinions on this setup I would appreciate any advice. Looking around now I see that there has been a recent release of a Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Lens which might save me the bother of getting an adapter a faffing around with another developers gear. Has anyone used this underwater before and could comment on its capabilities? Seems as though google is lacking underwater results for this lens.

I am then thinking that I may just get annoyed with the 50mm focal length and could maybe stretch to the 90mm 2.8 macro.... could anyone comment on this difference in focal length?

Although the a6000 looks like a good option for me I have yet to make up my mind fully. I would be open to suggestions on other mirrorless systems around the middle price range which are good for macro and terrestrial action.

Thanks for any advice in advance

"Sony has announced the FE 50mm F2.8 Macro, a full-frame lens with true 1:1 macro magnification. It provides a minimum focus distance of 16cm/6.3in"

So let me get this straight, 16cm is as close as you can get and still focus??

I am very surprised that this new lens is not discussed more here in the forum. I really hope this is a viable alternative to the 90mm if you want to travel a bit lighter or save a few bucks.

Hope someone will try it out soon and let us know on port solution and generally how it works underwater.

I find it important to think about the type of macro shots desired while deciding on the lens. I'm after greater than 1:1 so a 50mm lens would not do it for me, or would be too close. I use the Olympus 60mm lens on m4/3 so that's 120mm equivalent. Then with a +5 diopter i get better than 2:1 and still maintain enough working distance to get light on the subject. Essential for pygmy seahorses, xenia crabs, anemone shrimp, etc.

Minimum focus distance is usually measured from the sensor focal plane. For example, my lens has a minimum of 18 cm, but that means it will focus within 7 cm of the port glass at 1:1.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements