Alison Perkins

Sea & Sea sync cords - different metals available?

I've been having issues with corrosion of my Sea & Sea sync cords where they thread into my housing. I seem to have 2 different cords in my collection (different metals for the screw fittings). One corrodes badly, the other is okay. I'd like to buy more cords of the type that don't corrode, but I'm told that they aren't sold anymore. Does anyone have experience with this?

This photo shows the cord that's working for me (the tick) and the one that isn't (the cross).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alisonperkins/32748445274/

EDIT: see photo below

Edited by Alison Perkins

your pictures don't work, maybe there not publicly shared.

• Like 1

Noone else has issues with corrosion of their sync cords in their bulk ports? It took some years to happen but it literally ate away the thread on one of my bulk ports until there was nothing left. (My housing does have an anode.)

The bottom picture does not have a o-ring on it but I am sure that when you use it it does. There is a product called tef-gel that I highly recommend for these type of issues when you have dissimilar metals , salt water and electrolysis.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=546&engine=adwords&keyword=tef_gel&gclid=CjwKEAjw5M3GBRCTvpK4osqj4X4SJAABRJNC7zP9DePnOKtDwCDlogDdySayZkzIuikH48oImcBZqRoCRDPw_wcB

Ultra Tef-Gel is a fastener lubricant used to prevent corrosion and seizing. Developed using aerospace industry experience, properly applied Tef Gel eliminates the blistering, corrosion, rust, galling, and seizing of hardware commonly experienced in corrosive environments and with dissimilar metals.
It can be used in all weather conditions. The amazing composition is derived from a specially formulated PTFE paste. Syringe tube design for easy application. Whether it swivels, slips or slides, Tef-Gel will protect and ensure the painless future removal of assembled hardware.

The nikonus connector is known for these problems. The o-ring should have been above the threads not after the threads.

Edited by blibecap
  • Like 1

Yes, I've had exactly the same problem. They've changed the locking ring over to a much lighter metal and it corrodes a lot faster. Not an issue in freshwater, and then I went diving in the sea for a week and had to use multi-grips to get my triggerfish off the sync cords. I was unimpressed.

I have no solution beyond undoing them after every salt water dive. It's annoying and not good for the pins. Maybe I'll try some Tef-Gel or similar.

• Like 1

I had it once, Alison, between a Heinrich Weikamp convertor and a Sea & Sea sync cable. The two (with threads made of differing metals) were locked tight together and I had to use some pretty heavy tools to get them apart - requiring replacement of the thread on the Weikamp. Argh.

I was working at dive resort at the time and a customer recommended Tef-Gel. That certainly did the trick after the repair. Pretty gunky, sticky stuff though - in an interesting shade of blue.

i put a little bit of tribolube** on the threads and have never had any issues. My sync chords between strobe and converter box and converter box to camera housing remain in place for a full week of salt water diving.

could the issue be related to over tightening the connector?

**since tribolube is safe everywhere, it is the only grease i use.

I use Lanocote on the threads. It works quite well, but keep it off your o-rings. Periodically, I remove the cable, clean the old dried out stuff off and recoat while touching up the grease on the o-ring. Before using it, I had several cables freeze solid to the fitting. I also had trouble with the one on my HW converter on my old Oly. I destroyed two $500 converters and two cables before wising up.

Go to fiber optic if possible.

Not sure how I'd do that with my camera + housing. No flash on the Canon 5dII. Sealux housing doesn't have any windows.

Sponsors

Advertisements