Taxatxu

Strobe Sea&Sea YS-D2 fires always at maximum

Hi all!

Thanks for accepting me in the forum. I have read that a lot of people had troubles with the strobes YS-D2, but I haven't found anybody with my issue. Let's see if somebody can help me.

The last two times I had use my underwater set up (Canon G7X, Nauticam Housing NA-G7X and strobe S&S YS-D2) the strobe is shooting always in maximum power, which is very inconvenient for macro. I've checked all the modes and I have the same problem with all of them (except of the Manual with pre-flash). I wonder if it's a problem with the batteries as they are brand new or the power selector.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thank you very much for your attention and replies.

Thank you! I will try to find somebody to fix it. If you could provide more information about which part had to be changed it will be very helpful! Thank you very much!

Thank you! I will try to find somebody to fix it. If you could provide more information about which part had to be changed it will be very helpful! Thank you very much!

Technician told me the part name but actually im dont remember ,i will ask him again about part name and let you know .

Edited by Ahm.86

I have on ein this situation, did you guys managed to get it fixed? Who could fix it? 
After all I experienced with Sea&Sea I wouldn't send it to them...

Maybe your Sea&Sea YS-D2 strobes fires only at max power for the following reason:  The flash tube has three electric wires, one positive and one negative at each end, and a trigger wire in the middle. The trigger is a high voltage electric pulse of varying duration, and it is the duration that determines the flash light intensity. The duration of the pulse is controlled by an electronic circuit which includes the step knob and circuits on the back of the strobe, a second step-up transformer and a special strobe transistor. To replace a defective part requires the strobe to be opened and taken apart - detailed and time consuming work.

A part of this circuit may be defective.  Defects in this same circuit may be why the YS-D2 strobes, made in China, suffered from burned or shattered flash tubes. Sea&Sea no longer supports these repairs nor provides replacement parts. The  replacement strobe, the YS-D2J is made in Japan and hopefully no longer has these problems.

Here is the Wetpixel World List of Strobe Repair sites:

https://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?/topic/64815-world-list-of-uw-camera-housing-and-strobe-repair-sites/

If you find somebody to repair your YS-D2 strobe, please post his name and address here so we can all benefit. 

Edited by Kraken de Mabini
corrections

On 10/17/2019 at 1:31 PM, Kraken de Mabini said:

If you find somebody to repair your YS-D2 strobe, please post his name and address here so we can all benefit. 

http://www.pacifichousingrepair.com/

They are the only authorized S&S repair center in the US. I had very good luck with them.

Sponsors

Advertisements