Sign in to follow this  
scubanerd

GH5s for Wide, GH5 for Macro?

I am setting up my new rig and have been battling between buying the GH5 or S version. GH5 seems awesome for stabilization and the S seems awesome for low light performance. I am planning on using an 8mm for wide and a 60mm for macro (paired with a SMC). It dawned on me today that maybe the best choice is 'both'. Since they both work in the same housing, why not load the housing with the S for wide angle dives and use the GH5 for macro? I figure for macro I will also have artificial light so low light is not needed, and having the ability to stabilize those super macro shots could be very beneficial. Am i crazy or brilliant?

For macro video u need a tripod imo. I use the gh5 for both macro and wide and like it, if I did end up buying the s I would only use it for specific deep dives ( I.e hammerhead searches that tend to go very deep)

The stabilization in the gh5 is lovely and I would feel naked without it on wide angle dives.

As far as macro goes I feel like the s doesn't offer anything special compared to the gh5, as u will have everything lit up properly anyways.

Skickat från min VTR-L29 via Tapatalk

Nice to hear you are liking the IBIS of the GH5. I have had a tough time getting some 'real' reviews of the benefits of IBIS UW. I have been successfully shooting Macro with and without a tripod for many years. Sometimes a tripod is just not an option and I don't like to rely on it. I was just in Indonesia and trying to perfect my skill with the SMC, easier said than done. I am hoping the IBIS can assist with that level of macro / zoom.

Your comment about 'i would feel naked without it'. Do you feel IBIS is helping on WA shots as I normally don't have much of an issue on WA assuming conditions are not extreme. Please elaborate. Thanks!

I’m planning to use both on a trip next month. I love shooting video so made the step up from the Gh5 to the S, but as you’ve already pointed out there are compromises.

Since it’s hard to get all your cats up one tree, I like to have the versatility, especially going to a new destination that may throw different subjects at you. Drop the Keldans, attach a strobe, and off you go.

Two cameras, one set of controls, programmable function keys set for different targets..not a bad choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice to hear you are liking the IBIS of the GH5. I have had a tough time getting some 'real' reviews of the benefits of IBIS UW. I have been successfully shooting Macro with and without a tripod for many years. Sometimes a tripod is just not an option and I don't like to rely on it. I was just in Indonesia and trying to perfect my skill with the SMC, easier said than done. I am hoping the IBIS can assist with that level of macro / zoom.

Your comment about 'i would feel naked without it'. Do you feel IBIS is helping on WA shots as I normally don't have much of an issue on WA assuming conditions are not extreme. Please elaborate. Thanks!

Well I could never shoot proper macro without a tripod. If u can then more power to u! Surely the ibis will help a little but to what extent I don't know.

I have been using the gh4 before for wide angle before the gh5 and it would be hard for me to go back to the non ibis gh4. I don't have to delete any shots cus of shakiness shot on the gh5 whereas I had to delete a little bit back in the days of the gh4.

This might also be cus of improved skills or rig improvements like having it more nesutral etc so I cannot say for certain that I couldn't shoot with the gh4 now but I definitely feel like the ibis is doing good work.

Hope that made sense!

Skickat från min VTR-L29 via Tapatalk

On the low light performance aspect bigger pixels give better performance at the pixel level, but all else being equal (things like readout noise, the readout electronics etc.) if you take a the 20 MP sensor and down sample it to 10 MP you will get the same noise performance or pretty close to it. The reason is that you have the same area to collect signal and if the other factors are the same the noise is the same. there are probably some minor advantages with the dual read out electronics but is it enough to notice in your output without pixel peeping? Until you get some actual test results on websites it will be hard to know if the advantage is enough to justify, it may be that it is only noticeable at very high ISO. I would think the other features for video may be more important in deciding if you want two bodies.

In-body/lens stabilization when shooting macro is not essential as long as you're using a tripod. On the GH5s I own, I almost only shoot macro and in that case, it's not a problem with Olympus 12-50 or 60mm lenses as long as the tripod does properly its job. I prefer my housing to weight a little more underwater than being neutral for that use. On the opposite, a neutral housing for wide angle is way better.

If you own a Leica lens with optical stabilization, the GH5s will have its stabilization menu enabled so you can choose between optical and electronic. With non Leica lenses, the menu is greyed.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements