Sign in to follow this  
adamhanlon

RIP Bob Halstead

Halstead_01.jpg

Author, musician, photographer, scuba pioneer and explorer Bob Halstead has died after an illness.

Bob qualified to dive in 1968 in the Bahamas and moved to Papua New Guinea in the late 1970s, becoming the first person to promote dive tourism in PNG. Widely credited as having invented the genre (and coined the term) of "muck diving," Bob was well known for exploring areas that other divers had not visited, in a quest for new species and unique environments.

Please feel free to share memories, thoughts, and images in memory of a life well lived

We were diving with Bob on the Telita in 1991 and he was passing around a slide of an unknown striped octopus (Mimic) to see if any one could identify it.

• Like 1

I was in an art show with him over the summer in Fort Myers called theres something in the water, and it was a massive honor. He was sick so he couldnt be there but just to be in the same room with his artwork gave my heart a jump. He was a huge inspiration to me when I first found out about him, working for Scuba mag. His great sense of humor and adventurer spirit will be very, very much missed. RIP Bob.

-Katy Danca Galli

First, I apologize as I don't have direct interaction with Bob.

That said, I find this very sad to see him go. When I first began realizing the "travel" portion of my dive life, it was Bob's Telita that I saw as one of the pinnacles. I never managed to make it there, but executed several trips on the Tiata and one on the Febrina. No offense to anyone, but this was back in the heyday of PNG diving (with the Barbarian, and all that she established; Kevin Baldwin and the Tiata; true titans walking the diving landscape). I often quote what I once told on the Tiata's back platform before a solo dive: "That's the ocean, it's deep, make sure you come back to here". True PNG diving ...

So long, Bob. Thank you for all you did and who you were.

My condolences to the family. I have not meet you Kirtley, but I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Bob is a legend. In 1980 Dinah Halstead and I were Bobs first NAUI Assistant Instructors, I later did my Instructor qualifying training with him, he was my teacher and mentor, an honour I will always treasure. A generous and giving man, he took me on with a contra that I help out with the boat and diving assistance. Continuous tank filling with a small compressor was a challenge. His first boat was modest, he would steer by popping his head up into a Perspex cupola. It was difficult for him starting out with around six divers crammed into a small covered boat with the dream of an improved future. He worked hard and was dedicated to developing diving in PNG and supporting his new family. Night diving out of Port Moresby, Bootless Bay to the fringing reef was the exploration of the time and Saturday mornings to dive with the moray eel called Nessie, along with the friendly potato cod (its pet name I have forgotten). Bob crafted diving into an art. It is very rare and special to see a person so beautifully proficient in aquatic skill to be completely adapted and belonging to the ocean. Truly, a salt in the veins man who will be sadly missed by those critters who reside in and those mortals who love to indulge in visiting the global oceans . Yours sincerely, Tony Gardiner, Christchurch, NZ

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements