Miru

Nauticam - BMPCC 4K

The housing is on sale now Alex tattersall just posted it on facebook

• Like 1

The housing is on sale now Alex tattersall just posted it on facebook

Indeed...hopefully mine will be posted by Alex tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed...hopefully mine will be posted by Alex tomorrow.

Only £3600!!!

Basically, if you remove the ball mounts on the handles, height is the same as GH5 rig. Width only slightly wider. Looks similar to the nauticam housings for full frame DSLRs (D850, not D5). Price is the same too :)

Look forward to hearing what you make of it, Richard.

• Like 1

Basically, if you remove the ball mounts on the handles, height is the same as GH5 rig. Width only slightly wider. Looks similar to the nauticam housings for full frame DSLRs (D850, not D5). Price is the same too :)

Look forward to hearing what you make of it, Richard.

I know I was against the BMPCC4K to being with (having had the GH5s and discounted it) as an upgrade from the GH5 - but the more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea of RAW, internal recording and for me the smaller travel setup compared to my GH5/Inferno, - and there is only one way of proving or disproving yourself - got to try it out for myself... so I bit the bullet.

Not selling the GH5 - Ideally I would like to get them both in the water at the same time, to report back on a side by side, and i think the GH5 will sit well as a photo rig - its what to do with the inferno - keep it as a lovely screen for the BMPCC4k (but then this negates the travel aspect) or sell it on.

Will report back once I have it all in my hands - but I believe there will be others in the water sooner than me, so will be keeping an eye on vimeo and youtube.

This video does a good job explaining the two iso ranges:

Thanks for this. Just got around to watching it today.

Very concise and to the point. Really explained clearly the Dual ISO - and how to use it to your advantage. Some good pointers.

Looks good. Can’t wait to see more of this camera in the real world. Not having the ibis puts me off a little but raw would be so nice

That video really shows how good RAW format can be for underwater filming.

It will be very interesting to see whether the Nikon Z series with the Ninja V will offer similar quality with ProRes RAW.

It may be a sign that RAW video formats are (finally) becoming a realistic option to deal with color issues. If so, this is a huge (and important) development.

Adam

Posted (edited)

If you are a GH5S 100% video guy the bmpcc seems to make sense

If you ditched the GH5s because of lack of IBIS or take still images the bpmcc doesn’t make much sense

The housing seems really well conceived but having one slot sd and another CF Doesn’t make much sense for me

Does this housing have an m27 port or still m16?

Edited by Interceptor121

Very interesting the bpmcc uses USB C for recording raw therefore kills entirely the whole atomos trend

Actually this is a very smart move as SSD tough drive are also IP65 amd are small I wonder if it can fit the housing?

The original prototype only had M16/M18 ports (and no tripod support) - however the retail / final version does indeed have the new M24 port - probably so they can sell you an NA-NINJAV as a viewfinder ;)

However the BMPCC4K only outputs 1080p 10bit via HDMI - so the need for HDMI2.0 and thus the fullsize HDMI cable isn't needed. (But is more durable - so welcome)

CFast was indeed a weird choice (not a card I'm going to buy! $$$$) with XQD / CFExpress becoming the more go-to card due to being PCI based and not SATA so more future proof for data rates.

As to the SSD - yes the housing is designed to fit one on top. I've ordered a couple of 1TB T5 Samsung drives, from my understanding they can support Q5 quality and 5:1.

Although a very big fan of the BMPCC and knowing it is still too early I still haven't seen UW footage that convinces me. I 've seen equal or better footage from GH5 users in this forum. Comparing image to image the footage from the GH5S is equal quality even if not raw same goes to the GH5. Yes if you pixel peep blah blah you can find small differences in the image quality but who does that? On the other hand, the flexibility, tools and options given by the GH5, GH5S are way ahead of the BMPCC. Not even talking about the QA issues with it. Exciting times for sure but I would prefer to spend my $ in some lights at the moment.

• Like 1

There is a bunch of pictures of the Nauticam BMPCC housing (with SSD drives and USB C) here: http://wetpixel.com/articles/show-report-boot-2019

The issues with quality will be sorted by the workflow. As these formats become more prevalent, the workflow will get easier and the quality gains more. I remember having to edit original Blackmagic RAW footage in Lightroom in Komodo in 2014, so we have come a long way already!

Adam

There is a bunch of pictures of the Nauticam BMPCC housing (with SSD drives and USB C) here: http://wetpixel.com/articles/show-report-boot-2019

The issues with quality will be sorted by the workflow. As these formats become more prevalent, the workflow will get easier and the quality gains more. I remember having to edit original Blackmagic RAW footage in Lightroom in Komodo in 2014, so we have come a long way already!

Adam

That 4x 3400 mah battery pack is interesting

The space for the hard drive seems only to accomodate tiny ones without case that would not be my preference

Posted (edited)

Housing Arrived :)

Some interesting observations -

a) it seems there is a switch now for activating the vacuum alarm only when the housing is closed - clever
b) The new M24 port is massive!

c) Lovely battery holder

d) Bulit-in holder for Samsung T5 drives - was just expecting to stick it in the housing, no there is a dedicated holder

e) Holding it in my hands - I can still see a monitor will be required

post-43742-0-55060300-1554458115_thumb.jpg

post-43742-0-59387700-1554458114_thumb.jpg

post-43742-0-59389500-1554458113_thumb.jpg

Edited by thetrickster
  • Like 2

Looks good. A well thought out design for video work and that camera specifically.

• Like 1

What lenses were you going to use with the camera?

What lenses were you going to use with the camera?

At the moment the same as my GH5.

14-42mm II with the Macro 35 Port and the WWL-1.

At the moment the same as my GH5.

14-42mm II with the Macro 35 Port and the WWL-1.

I'm looking forward to buy your GH5 rig :evilgrin2:

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to buy your GH5 rig :evilgrin2:

Alas I'm saving it as a Macro Rig - sorry!

seems well realised in a few week we will see how it compares with the GH5 on the same dive just dont come near with your 4 lights

Sponsors

Advertisements