tomstgeorge

Transiting through US - camera gear in carry on - any issues?

I would like to take my full setup in my carry-on. Am I going to have any issues going through TSA with camera housing, strobes, strobe arms etc?

Mostly concerned with if there is any risk of the strobe arms being confiscated?

Anyone taken float / regular strobe arms through TSA before?

TSA has never given me any grief about what it is that I am carrying iin my carry on (laptop, ipad, camera bodies, lenses, underwater housing and even underwater strobes) other than the occasional question of "what is that?"

As for strobe arms, I usaully pack them inside the arm section of my wetsuit. Been doing it that way 35 years without anything getting damaged.

• Like 1

I carry on strobe arms. Never a problem. Of course I usually get the extra screening (swabbing for explosives).

Thanks Walt & Vondo - I'm expecting to get some additional scrutiny with all this weird and wonderful gear :lol2:

I've usually found security folks interested as items might be a bit unusual or things they haven't maybe seen before - rather than concerned. I don't think I've ever had a real problem hoiking all sorts of u/w photo gear around.

What airport(s) will you be going through? Ive had the housing swabbed a few times at more inland airports. Flying in and out of LAX has never been an issue with the camera kit as carry on.

Just do not pack your tools in your carry on. TSA will confiscate your allen wrenches and your screw drivers.

Housing, strobes, battery charges and arms are not an issue as a carry on

Posted (edited)

We all have the similar assumed when we pack for a tour: what am I permissible to bring on a plane? Occasionally, you can answer this inside question yourself in a stuff of seconds. After all, air travel is a permeating part of our lives, so you should think of. But every state is different and the TSA guidelines and restrictions are tremendously rigid. You don’t want to have to throw out a luxurious bottle of wine or be the focus of an investigation for trying to take a banned item on board, so it’s main to know precisely what you can bring along with you...

Edited by susanayliya18

Sponsors

Advertisements