domromer

Are non enveloop batteries going to cause my strobes to go up in a fiery inferno?

Inon says eneloop but Amazon is 14 days away and I can't find any locally. Are regular energizer rechargeables bad for my strobes in any way? 

its better to use Eneloops and if not amazon basics have similar ones. All things same except branding of amazon. Not sure of energizers.

More important though whichever ones you choose, MAKE SURE they are all evenly charged. If not, can lead to problems with your strobes. I had such issues with the Iron Z240's. get an intelligent/smart charger.

Hope this helps.

Diggy

Eneloop is generally regarded as best but INON have a list of other acceptable batteries.  It's in the manual, :

• Sony cycle energy blue
  • Panasonic HHR-3MPS
  • Imedion (MAHA) MHRAAI4 (they also make an excellent 8 cell charger)
  • GP batteries ReCyko+ - 210AAHCBE
  • ANSMANN AG maxE - 5030991, 5030992 5035052
  • Electrochem NEXCell energyON  - AA 2000 mAhr

are listed in addition to the eneloops and eneloop Pro.

Your strobe probably won't die with energiser, but they will get hotter and are also prone to rapid self discharge.  Probably a longer term thing - but I would get eneloop anyway and use them once they arrive  and relegate the others to a dive torch or something once you get the eneloops.

Depending on how many dives you do in the time the eneloops take to arrive you could use a set of regular AA energiser (disposable), you'll probably get two dives from a set or more if you can get the AA Lithium cells - both are listed in the manual as a battery you can use.

4 minutes ago, adamhanlon said:

Fiery inferno :)

Towering?

Luckily the inferno will be underwater. So it should be mostly contained.

9 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

Eneloop is generally regarded as best but INON have a list of other acceptable batteries.  It's in the manual, :

• Sony cycle energy blue
  • Panasonic HHR-3MPS
  • Imedion (MAHA) MHRAAI4 (they also make an excellent 8 cell charger)
  • GP batteries ReCyko+ - 210AAHCBE
  • ANSMANN AG maxE - 5030991, 5030992 5035052
  • Electrochem NEXCell energyON  - AA 2000 mAhr

are listed in addition to the eneloops and eneloop Pro.

Your strobe probably won't die with energiser, but they will get hotter and are also prone to rapid self discharge.  Probably a longer term thing - but I would get eneloop anyway and use them once they arrive  and relegate the others to a dive torch or something once you get the eneloops.

Depending on how many dives you do in the time the eneloops take to arrive you could use a set of regular AA energiser (disposable), you'll probably get two dives from a set or more if you can get the AA Lithium cells - both are listed in the manual as a battery you can use.

I live on a small island in the middle of the Pacific. My battery selection is slim! But I've amazon sent out another set of batteries after they lost the first one. So I should get those by August!

It probably won't be a problem to use the energisers for a while - the eneloops are supposedly what helped INON solve a reliability problem due to heat buildup.  If you rapid fire full power dumps constantly it could give you a problem , but casual use for a short period probably not??    I think you are using a TG-6 if I remember your other posts shooting that for macro using f6.3 (not the f18 option) should mean you are at quite low power which is easy on the flash.   What you will need to do is charge them each outing if they have been sitting more than a few days as they self discharge.

I regularly shoot non-rechargeable AA's (Energizer or Duracell) in my Inons (Z330's, and previously, Z240's). I get 4 dives easily from fresh batteries, and have pushed it to 5 or 6 depending mostly on if I remember to swap out the batteries at the beginning of the day or not.

Stopped traveling with battery chargers several years ago - always pack my batteries in & out (recycle at home), due to reliability issues with rechargeable batteries, and the need to recharge frequently. 

Sponsors

Advertisements