Nickuk

Easy Dive Housings - Any Good?

Does anyone have any experience of the Easy Dive housings (specifically Leo 3 Wi)? Am looking for a new housing for my Sony A7iii and soon to be A7siii. The concept of a universal housing which I can use for both a dedicated stills and a dedicated video camera is appealing... Anyone have any real world experience of these housings? What has been your experience? 

Nick 

Here's an old post on the topic with some good responses: 

I own the Leo 3 (the regular one, not the Wi), and I have used it first with my D7200 then D7500.

This ability to house different cameras is great, especially if you plan to upgrade your camera in the future.

These housings are heavy out of the water, mostly due to the handle being made from the same block of aluminium as the body. But this means that they are very strong and solid. The lack of mechanical parts also contribute to this strength and reliability. There are a very limited number of o-rings, and the only ones that may be mechanically stressed (the back door o-rings) are designed in a way which makes the seal very reliable. Due to this design, they require minimal maintenance and care, much less than what I've seen on other housings.

For peace of mind, it's recommended to install the Sentinel leak detector. However Easydive only propose to pre-install the old leak sentinel V4. It's better to buy directly the Leak sentinel V5 XB (smaller, with battery which can be easily changed from within the housing), and install it on the housing, this is quite straightforward.

It terms of operation underwater, I am afraid that my experience with the Nikon cameras would not translate to Sony's, as the set of functions available is very different. Check carefully the description of the functions available for your camera. If you like to play with settings underwater, or spend time reviewing your pictures underwater, the functions available may be a constraint. If you shoot in manual mode, the settings (speed, aperture, ISO) are directly are easily available.

With the Leo3 and Nikon cameras, there are also a set of buttons to move the focus area, which is very convenient to shoot with a focus point out of the center. I'm not sure whether such a feature would be possible with the Sony cameras.

I'm overall very satisfied with my Leo3 housing and the support I've receive from Easydive since I have purchased it.

Thanks both. I think there may be a new leak detector coming in September apparently... Am also very interested in moving the focal point, so will need to check with them if that is possible. 

The Wi version seems much smaller than the regular model so am hoping size is not too much of an issue... 

Overall I get a positive feeling about their customer service, and the housings seem solid... Would be nice to try one before buying, however, but looks like they have no distributors outside Italy

Sponsors

Advertisements