I've been reading that you can add teleconverters to macro lense for increased "magnification" for supermacro purposes. Can anyone advice which teleconverters to get for a Canon 100mm USM macro lense.

In addition, I was reading the canon brochere and they did not state that the Canon 100mm USM macro lense to compatible to their extenders (canon's teleconverter). Pls advice.

Canon teleconverters are designed specifically for Canon telelenses and protrude into the lens.

Yes, you increase magnification with a teleconverter as close-up distance is maintained but field of view becomes smaller. It's a decent solution for gaining magnification beyond 1:1. On the other hand you loose brightness in terms of max. aperture. I would suggest the Kenko x1.4 to start with.

Julian

I've use the Tamron 1.4x and 2x with the 100mm macro. The 1.4x works very well, the autofocus is still ok with it on, and the images are sharp. I haven't used the 2x much, just check that it works and will focus.

I have used the 2X and the 3X Kenko PRO 300 series with the 105 Nikon. Auto focus will work but painfully slow. The Kenkos made for use with Nikon do not protrude into the lens.

In reality I never use auto focus as the nikon can not lock the focus due to the almost non existent DOF. I have used it only to adjust the reproduction ratio. I do this by setting the lens to AF and switching the focus mode on the camera body.

chris

Chris,

Thanks for the blast from the past! I copied that thread to the Best of Wetpixel DSLR forum.

Cheers

James

Does anyone knows about how close the Canon extender EF12 will reduce the minimal focus distance for a Canon 70-200 f/4L ? It get a focus from 1.2m minimal...

Hi Fabio,

I never thought of using the EF12. I have this lens and a 500D diopter which enables close focusing. I currently don't have a way to house it, but I'm working on that. I never thought of using the tube, that's a good idea.

Cheers

James

Hi all,

Would like to get a 2x teleconverter for a Fuji S2 using a 60mm Nikon Micro. Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Andrew, can I suggest a Woody's external diopter instead?

Hi James,

I'm finally get some time to finish my self made extension ring to house this lens and for now I need some advice about results of extension tube or diopters ... I'll looking this weekend for a photo store to try the both solutions.

Regards

Fabio

Hi all,

Would like to get a 2x teleconverter for a Fuji S2 using a 60mm Nikon Micro. Any suggestions?

Cheers!

The Kenko 2X Pro 300 was recommended here and in others places more then once.

BTW: Someone here know what is the difference between this model and the new DG model?

James,

how about the magnification gain with 500D diopter ?

Thanks

BTW 2: I sow that the Kenko 2X Pro 300 is sells in e-bay much cheaper then in B&H, something around 125-135$ from some few good merchants.

Sponsors

Advertisements