Philippines declares million hectare MPA
Scientists determine fish are magnetic
In a study recently published in Current Biology, scientists from the University of Oldenberg in Germany have determined that fish use magnetic fields to find their way back to their birthplace. Consistent experiments show that the larvae of Doederlein’s cardinalfish, Ostorhinchus doederleini, will swim south south-east after being thrust into the ocean’s currents. However, when scientists applied a magnetic field to tanks of newly hatched larvae, and then adjusted it by 180-degrees, the fish adjusted their direction every time.
National Geographic and NPS explores inside the well preserved USS Arizona
Archaeologists from the National Park Service and photographers from National Geographic have just completed a 10-day expedition to document interior portions of the U.S.S. Arizona that have previously not been seen since the ships’ sinking in 1941. The 608-foot long battleship sits in 40-feet of water and is one of the most well studied shipwrecks, but sections within the ship have been unreachable until now.
Call for Entries: UPY 2017
The Underwater Photographer of the Year (UPY) contest is making its final call for entries for the 2017 competition. This year it offers 11 categories, including one for the Underwater Photography Book of the year. The deadline for entries is 2 January 2018, with the results due to be announced in early February.
Article: Japanese Giant Salamanders by Don Silcock
Subal announces housing for OM-D E-M1 Mark II
2017 Wreck and Shark Shootout dates announced
Issue 25 of Anima Mundi available
- Bull shark research in Mozambique - 3 Fathoms (via African Diver)
- Dive China 2013 (via African Diver)
- Conservation in Mozambique - Eyes on the Horizon (via African Diver)
- DRT Show - World-class DIVING, RESORT & TRAVEL EXPO on December… (via African Diver)
- If August was bad November was worse! 4 mantas killed by gill… (via African Diver)
- Issue 25 now available (via African Diver)
- In Pictures: Cracking croc scales (via BBC)
- DIVEMAG English Issue 10 (via )
- In pictures: A kingdom of colour (via BBC)
- In pictures: National Tree Week (via BBC)