Fatality from Tiger Shark in Cocos Island
A female scuba diver has died following an encounter with a Tiger Shark while ascending to a safety stop after completing a dive in Cocos Island. A 26-year old dive master, Mr. Jimenez, was also injured by the shark. The female diver has been identified by last name Bhandari and was 49-years old. The diver in Bhandari’s group were visiting Cocos Island with the Undersea Hunter group.
Ikelite announces housing for EOS 6D Mark II
Think Tank ships Airport Advantage Plus roller
Think Tank Photo has announced their new rolling camera bag. The Airport Advantage Plus meets international carry-on requirements and is designed to carry two SLRs, 5-8 additional lenses and a 17” laptop.
Call for Entries: Big Picture Natural World Photography Contest
The California Academy of Sciences has announced that their 2018 Big Picture Natural World Photography Contest is calling for entries. The competition has a category called “Aquatic Life” and offers a grand prize of $5,000 for the overall winner and prizes of $1,000 for the winners in each category. Entries are open now, and close on 1 March 2018.
Cathy Church’s new online video series for Vivid-Pix
Cathy Church and Vivid-Pix have collaborated in an online series of how-to videos for using Vivid-Pix to edit underwater photos. The first in the series of Vivid-Pix Tutorial Videos illustrates how she improves her photo of a wobblegong shark. Cathy Church has been pioneering and teaching underwater photography for over 50 years and brings her experience to this series of videos.
New whale shark study utilizes citizen science
A new study in the Journal BioScience utilizes imagery taken by citizen scientists to analyze population, distribution and movement of whale sharks (Rhincodon typus). An application designed by NASA to recognize stars has been used to automatically catalog and identify sharks from images uploaded to the Wildbook for Whale Sharks. Some 30,000 individual encounters with 6,000 shark in 54 countries have been analyzed thus far.
Adobe previews Select Subject feature
Adobe has released a Photoshop Sneak Peak that showcases a forthcoming Photoshop feature developed within the company’s Sensei project. Called Select Subject, it uses machine learning to improve accuracy when selecting objects and create “intelligent” selections. It will be incorporated into a forthcoming Creative Cloud release.
Sony announces CFast memory cards
- Sentencing of shark catcher welcomed (via African Diver)
- British Wildlife Photography Awards Now Open (via DivePhotoGuide)
- New York Underwater Photography Society Meeting: Adding Divers… (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Video of the Week: “Life of a Wave Photographer” (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Rumors: Post CP+ Show Speculation for Nikon and Canon DSLRs (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Video: Photographing Antarctic’s Leopard Seal (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Mobile Photography Awards Feature Stunning Pics (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Canon Announces Firmware Update for EOS 1D-C (via DivePhotoGuide)
- DPG Announces December Monthly Contest Winners (via DivePhotoGuide)
- In Photos: The Hammerhead (via DivePhotoGuide)